Electric go kart project

A couple friends and I are converting a go kart to electric power. So a couple questions

1. there is only one wheel with a drive sprocket. Our gearbox only accepts 2 CIM motors (2.5 in. CIM Motor - AndyMark, Inc) Possibly solutions??

2. Throttle control. The motors are being run on CTRE Talons (http://www.andymark.com/Talon-p/am-2505.htm) and we have an Uno R3 for a controller. The kart already has a throttle pedal installed, just how can we use with the Arduino??

Any help is appreciated!

BurtonCustomX:
A couple friends and I are converting a go kart to electric power. So a couple questions

1. there is only one wheel with a drive sprocket. Our gearbox only accepts 2 CIM motors (2.5 in. CIM Motor - AndyMark, Inc) Possibly solutions??

2. Throttle control. The motors are being run on CTRE Talons (http://www.andymark.com/Talon-p/am-2505.htm) and we have an Uno R3 for a controller. The kart already has a throttle pedal installed, just how can we use with the Arduino??

Any help is appreciated!

Just a WAG, but you might be able to attach the throttle cable to a disc mounted on a rotary encoder. The arduino could read that position and use it to modify the PWM signal it sends to your speed controller.

wizdum:
Just a WAG, but you might be able to attach the throttle cable to a disc mounted on a rotary encoder.

Heck, why get that complicated?

Have the throttle cable move the lever of a linear potentiometer (with a spring-based return to one end). Simple, cheap, effective.

As a variation on the same theme you could also get a string potentiometer.

why,no answer?

That motor is approx 1/4 1/2 hp.
Gearbox or not, how go-karty will that be?

I did an e-bike with a 1/2 hp motor - and it's not setting any records.

It looks like 8 hp is fairly average in the go kart market. This translates to 6KW of power.

By the looks of it the typical First CIM motor would run at peak efficiency at 12V and 20 Amps or 240 watts of power. Having two gets you up to 480 watts, but then you have to remember they are only 65% efficient.

I would look for a motor meant to be used in an electric go kart or a golf cart for that matter, but these are going to be expensive. You will quickly find that a good motor is the majority of the cost of an electric go kart.

Thanks for the throttle suggestions! and sorry I haven't replied - notifications didn't get turned on.

In response to the motor comment, I used 4 of these CIM motors on a small robot with a chair onboard and it carried me along at 15-17 mph on 12.75:1 gearing with direct drive. We have a gearbox that accepts 3 CIMs running 8.45:1 but with the chain drive also so it should be quicker. When we have a bit more money we will either graduate to bigger and better motors or return to gas power (we have a gixxer kart planned at some point)

Could a slide potentiometer be used for throttle ??? just tie it to the throttle cable??