Electrical conductivity of the soil

I would like to know if there is any module with which I can measure. the electrical conductivity of the soil and the amount of nutrients that the soil possesses.

I would like to know if there is any module with which I can measure. the electrical conductivity of the soil

Yes, put two nails into the soil, connect one to 5V, the other one to A0 and by a 10k resistor to GND.

the amount of nutrients that the soil possesses.

Nutrients for what? I don't think that such a sensor module can exist as it depends on the actual plant how much of a specific element it needs. You can buy professional sensor to get the values for several important factors for growing plants but for one they are usually not affordable and secondly they are specific for special categories of plants.

The electric conductivity of the soil is probably more of a measure to the humidity of the soil than it is to the amount of water dissolved minerals in it (minerals are true plant nutrients - organic matter that's often added as nutrient is useless to plants until it is mineralised by bacteria and fungi, and is generally non-conductive to boot).

wilmer_fernandez:
I would like to know if there is any module with which I can measure. the electrical conductivity of the soil and the amount of nutrients that the soil possesses.

The PH of the soil is critical for plant growth, not conductivity.

Paul

I am alsof interested in EC and moisture

I have seen 3 NEEDLE STAINLESS PINS THAT stick into stonewool grow slabs for tomatoes It measures temperature Wil be needed for the EC measurement and it measures moisture

But how do the do EC and moisture with 3 STAINLESS needles

EC is used to measure the nutrientsk pokon

Moisture measurement I can understand It has to do something with the 3 PINS/needles Instead of 2 pins for moisture

https://www.google.com/search?q=soil+ec+sensor&oq=soil+ec+sensor

How do you think the moisture part would work, and what is even the meaning of "moisture" in this context?

I can understand the EC part as long as the pins are properly submerged in the liquid. The moisture part not so much. EC takes two pins, the third pin of that mystery sensor you're looking at may be the temperature sensor?

Remember: conductivity is 1/resistance.

Paul

To measure conductivity of the soil you need to use a four wire technique as the interface between your conductor and the soil of often the difficult bit .

Yes, you can measure conductivity of soil. This won't tell you everything as to actual mineral content but as a simple rule the higher the conductivity the higher the salinity (more salts) in the soil. As to nutrients? I would take a soil sample and send it to a lab for analysis. Knowing for example the PH will only tell me if my soil is acidic or alkaline with a low PH being more acidic and high being more alkaline.

Anyway, yes, you can measure soil conductivity but if you really want mineral content send it to a lab. You can buy a soil conductivity probe.

Ron

Soil conductivity also depends on how much water is in the soil - that's what those soil moisture sensors are based on.

wvmarle: Soil conductivity also depends on how much water is in the soil - that's what those soil moisture sensors are based on.

That likely being the most important part. :)

Ron