Electrical generator

I’m working in a rental company. We have 500 Electrical power generators with a digital control panel Deep Sea 7310. We want to make a cheap tool to read the running hours of the generator one’s a week. Controller works with rs485 or ethernet connection. What is the best way to read out the running hours. Arduino nano + sim900+ rs485 shield????

You’re going to have to dig into the Deep Sea manual to find out what it emits on RS485 and whether you have to configure it to do so. Maybe you can request the runtime explicitly.

Once you can get it to emit the data, you can parse it and then, I assume, you intend to send a text message with the data?

How will you identify which of your 500 generators you’re measuring? Does the control panel emit a serial number?

What system will capture the SMS data?

I know on witch adress i can find the running hours. Every generator has an unique number. Can i send the fix number and the running hours to a sort of excell list?

You could have another arduino equipped with a SIM900 to receive the SMS attached to a PC and then push the data into Excel. Here's one way to do the Excel piece: https://playground.arduino.cc/Main/Excel. Disclaimer - never used it.

Long time.... The idea with rs485 doesn’t worked. I want to try it on an other way. Can a gr ps shield sim900 count the time a pin is high? Which pin must i use for this? Can i send this time two times in a week to a mysql database?

The Arduino the shield is attached to can keep track of a high pin to derive runtime. You'll need to look at the specifics of your shield to see which pins are available.

You will need something that receives the SMS and then have it pass the information to your database.

It's a shame you couldn't get the RS485 working. I assume now that you'll need one Arduino and SIM card per generator. How will you power them?

I can use 12 volt from the starting batterij. Does i need an arduino? Oe only the gprs sim900?

Bertbj40:
I can use 12 volt from the starting batterij. Does i need an arduino? Oe only the gprs sim900?

You will need both.

I think as this appears to be a first Arduino project , the easiest solution might be to just fit an hours run meter . There is the issue of making these devices , power supply connections, surging vibration etc , you will need to package it , It may work out expensive and you need to consider how you will maintain /repair devices you fit

One of the control panels has rs232 output for Scada monitoring - might be worth giving the supplier a call , they may have a solution.

Alternatively you can buy simple loggers with sms output .Think some Googling needed

Eg

https://www.halytech.com/products/dataloggers-and-telemetry/spider-sms.html

Bertbj40: Long time.... The idea with rs485 doesn’t worked. I want to try it on an other way. Can a gr ps shield sim900 count the time a pin is high? Which pin must i use for this? Can i send this time two times in a week to a mysql database?

Without registering, I can't download much information. But what I could download says the RS-232 and the RS-485 are continuously active. To me that means the controller is continuously SENDING data. Did you look at the data lines with an oscilloscope and detect the data signal? Does the user manual state the default baud rates and other parameters of the communication? Paul

Wildbill, i was hoping i could only use the gprs shield, because the shield has a Rtc on board and a couple of gpio pins.

Paul, i have all the parameters of the communication. But i don’t understand how i must make a connection betweeen the control panel and the arduino. Which shield does i need?

Bertbj40: Wildbill, i was hoping i could only use the gprs shield, because the shield has a Rtc on board and a couple of gpio pins.

Paul, i have all the parameters of the communication. But i don’t understand how i must make a connection betweeen the control panel and the arduino. Which shield does i need?

I don't have a clue as to the connector on the generator. But the data sheet points to line "A", line"B", which are the data lines that alternate + and - for each bit. And there is the line SCR, which is the equivalent to the signal ground. You need an RS-485 adapter board between the generator and the Arduino. The board will have equivalent connections for the A B, and the generator's signal ground, SCR. The other end of the adapter board will have a ground connection, a transmit data pin which will go to your Arduino RX pin. It will have a receive pin which will go to the Arduino pin you specify for your serial output. There should be a 4th pin on the adapter board that can be used to control when the Arduino is transmitting data or receiving data. But you need to match the Baud rate of the generator to the Arduino program.

Finally, again, did your previous tests show ant data from the generator?

Paul

Paul, You are correct! The board has a connector with A,B and scr

I have a mcp2515_can. Can i use thuis for betweeen the arduino en the board?

I also have a can bus shield v1.2

Now we use a netbiter (www netbiter.com) bit this is to expensive (550 euro) just for reading the hours counter

With the netbiter everything works fine !

Do you see anything in the specs that tell you they use RS-485?

Paul

Can you post the data sheet? It requires registration to download.

in the attachment a screen shot of the manual

serial port dse 7310 rs485.pdf (362 KB)

What did you try to get from the generator over RS485? What code did you use?

It looks like you need the extra MODBUS documentation mentioned to find the appropriate register to read to get runtime.