Electrical Setup for Servos with Arduino

Hello all,

I have about seven servos that I want to connect to a breadboard that is powered. But I don't know what to buy to power this or whether it should be batteries or a wall port. I do plan on powering the arduino and breadboard separate I don't want to kill it. I have five TowerPro MG996R Servos, and two LewanSoul LDX-227 running parallel.

I have looked up the specs of these and the Towerpro have a operating voltage of 4.8-7.2 V and a running current of 500mA-900mA. The LewanSoul had a operating voltage of 7.4 V and a working current of 1 A.

Thanks in advance.

hmmm....
One has a range of 4.8-7.2
The other is 7.4

What voltage are you planning to run?

Be aware that breadboards are good at carrying signal-level currents.
They are less good at carrying motor-level currents, especially when using multiple motors in parallel.

When I was running many servos, I used the breadboard for proof of concept then soldered up better pieces for carrying that much current.

Batteries are easy. But either way, make sure you have a common ground.

The servo power supply needs to be able to provide 1 Ampere per servo. The starting current is much higher than the running current.

Obviously, you can't run 7.4 and 5 V servos from the same power supply.

I agree with the above, do not use the breadboard to distribute servo power, as that will burn the tracks.

vinceherman:
hmmm....
One has a range of 4.8-7.2
The other is 7.4

What voltage are you planning to run?

Be aware that breadboards are good at carrying signal-level currents.
They are less good at carrying motor-level currents, especially when using multiple motors in parallel.

When I was running many servos, I used the breadboard for proof of concept then soldered up better pieces for carrying that much current.

Batteries are easy. But either way, make sure you have a common ground.

What should we be getting if were not connecting the power to the breadboard?

Connect the servo power and ground to a suitable battery pack or power supply with wires, using high quality connectors, or solder the connections. Connect all the grounds.

jremington:
Connect the servo power and ground to a suitable battery pack or power supply with wires, using high quality connectors, or solder the connections. Connect all the grounds.

So do you have any suggestions of what to use?

On one project with multiple servos, I used a 3 row male header.
I soldered a wire across all the grounds and soldered the ground from the power supply to that (with a lead to the arduino for common grounds)
I soldered a wire across all of the power and soldered the 6v from my supply to that. You can use whatever voltage level your servos support.
I soldered a lead from each signal pin and plugged the other end in to the appropriate pin on my arduino.
Then I plugged all the servos in to the header.