Electrolytic capacitors marked as "*v" and "*v dc"

I need to buy replacement capacitors for a Game Gear I am hoping to restore and whilst sourcing replacement capacitors I've noticed suppliers list them under two categories, for example "6.3V" and "6.3V DC". Is the DC here relevant?

Any help appreciated.

LongTom

Is the DC here relevant?

I don't think so. There are electrolytic capacitors that need to be put in the circuit the right way round so you might want to put DC on the end of the voltage rating, but there is only a small range of values where you get electrolytic ( polarised ) and non polarised choice.

Thanks Grumpy_Mike.

What do you mean by this...?

Grumpy_Mike: ...but there is only a small range of values where you get electrolytic ( polarised ) and non polarised choice.

I'm just confused whether there are DC and "other" electrolytic capacitors or if they are the same thing that mistakenly ended up in different categories due to their labelling.

An electrolytic capacitor IS a polarised capacitor and can only take a DC voltage.

Non polarised capacitors can have AC applied to them without blowing them up.

You should look at the type of capacitor rather than worrying about if DC has been tagged on the voltage rating.

Grumpy_Mike:
An electrolytic capacitor IS a polarised capacitor and can only take a DC voltage.

Non polarised capacitors can have AC applied to them without blowing them up.

You should look at the type of capacitor rather than worrying about if DC has been tagged on the voltage rating.

Excellent. That’s the type of answer I was after. Thank you!