Elegoo Mega Clone Won't Upload

I am trying to install marlin firmware on an Elegoo Mega clone. I'm getting this error:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

Sketch uses 656 bytes (0%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes. Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 8183 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes. avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM5": The system cannot find the file specified.

avrdude: ser_drain(): read error: The handle is invalid.

avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: The handle is invalid.

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: The handle is invalid.

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: The handle is invalid.

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer the selected serial port avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer does not exist or your board is not connected

This report would have more information with "Show verbose output during compilation" option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Is there any way to fix it, or do I need a new board?

Is your board at COM5 ?

My board is connected to COM5 according to device manager, as well as the IDE.

Don't know.

You should ask the people who wrote the Marlin firmware what is going on.

I should have mentioned that I get this error no matter what I try to upload, not just the firmware I have also tried burning bootloader, with no success.

Plane: I should have mentioned that I get this error no matter what I try to upload, not just the firmware I have also tried burning bootloader, with no success.

Did you buy this board as part of a kit for a 3D printer?

If so, it may have been modified for that usage.

(deleted)

A Mega came with the controller shield and the kit, but it burned up, so I got this one.

I just restarted my PC and tried uploading. I got the following error:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

Archiving built core (caching) in: C:\Users\Pete\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_124045\core\core_arduino_avr_mega_cpu_atmega2560_0c812875ac70eb4a9b385d8fb077f54c.a Sketch uses 5096 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes. Global variables use 483 bytes (5%) of dynamic memory, leaving 7709 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes. avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer An error occurred while uploading the sketch

This report would have more information with "Show verbose output during compilation" option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Was there some reason you chose the Elegoo Mega clone versus buying a Mega from the Chinese sellers on eBay?

At this point I would buy 2 Megas elsewhere.

No specific reason. It was the cheapest thing with the highest ratings.

My tuppence-worth I have a couple of Elegoo Mega 2560's, plus Uno's and Nano's Never had a problem with them, work out of the box, no driver download needed (the substitute FTDI chip works out of the box). Come with a decent USB cable and a proper box. Boards are nicely made, good quality components. Makes the 2560 a cost effective alternative for large projects. However, the Amazon sourced 2560 prototying shield (not Elegoo) was absolute rubbish. Loads of bent pins, receptacle headers out of alignment, and looked as though it had been reflowed in a chip pan. but do you expect for £3? A bit of touching up and a good scrub and all is well. No hesitation using them (Elegoo) again

Hello,

I have the same problems with elegoo nano, unable to program the arduino nano or reinstall bootloader. USB and CH340 (mac-serial-usb.com version but i try the official version too) drivers work fine, but unable to use Arduino IDE.

But all work great with PlateformIO/Atom ! I can program the board, but i don't know to install bootloader from platerformIO...

Strange no ?

Can only reiterate, Elegoo Mega 2560, Elegoo Uno, Elegoo Nano straight out of the box, plug in, no problems. IDE 1.8.5 using the standard board type names. Make sure you are using the correct programmer (ArduinoISP) - can get changed without you realising it. Only difference is I'm using Win10. Can you try it on a Windows machine? I would do that before messing about with bootloaders. Do Arduinos with FTDI or 168 work with the Mac? Some of the Amazon reviews on Elegoo might have some driver problem information, or you could try Elegoo support directly. They do work, honestly.

I am using Windows 10.

Meditant wasn't. Have a look at Nick Gammon's (Gammon.au) item on checking fuse settings and loading bootloaders (Arduino sketches). I can understand that there might be problems with the Nano that uses the CH340G chip, but not one that I have experienced. It's more of a mystery why the Elegoo 2560 doesn't work as it has identical chips as the official board. If you have checked all the basic stuff like correct port and correct board and then gone through Nick Gammon's diagnostic sketches, you will have to take it up with Elegoo. There are daft things like USB connectors and cables not being up to scratch. Errors like not finding ports can often be rectified by connecting and reconnecting USB devices. I do get errors during the compile stage where "cannot find file" type error comes up as somewhere along the line and after several days of running the same IDE, the temporary build files disappear and the only solution is to shut the IDE down and restart. Your last error posting certainly points to a basic comms issue, but when I have had these, it's generally down to an incorrect setting in the tools menu. Others suggest not using USB hubs, but again, not a problem I have had