Elegoo starter kit Joystick

I got one of these elegoo starter kits, and I'm playing with the joystick. I'm reading the analog values in. Great! I get that the span is 1023 to 0 with 512 being the middle. What I found is that if I move the joystick halfway, I'm already at the span limits. That means I don't get the full resolution of the joystick.

Is it because of the cheapy joystick that came with the kit? Is there a better one out there?

The Uno only has 10 bit resolution. Is there another arduino with higher resolution?

1) show your code. 2) show how you have things hooked up 3) What board are you using?

Below is my code and wiring is attached.:

// Arduino pin numbers
const int SW_pin = 2; // digital pin connected to switch output
const int X_pin = 0; // analog pin connected to X output
const int Y_pin = 1; // analog pin connected to Y output

void setup() {
pinMode(SW_pin, INPUT);
digitalWrite(SW_pin, HIGH);
Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
Serial.print(“Switch: “);
Serial.print(digitalRead(SW_pin));
Serial.print(”\n”);
Serial.print(“X-axis: “);
Serial.print(analogRead(X_pin));
Serial.print(”\n”);
Serial.print(“Y-axis: “);
Serial.println(analogRead(Y_pin));
Serial.print(”\n\n”);
delay(1000);
}

"Is it because of the cheapy joystick that came with the kit? Is there a better one out there?"

Could be the stick if it has a lot of slop in it. Do you have a link to the kit that shows the joystick?

This is what I have: https://www.elegoo.com/product/elegoo-uno-r3-project-complete-starter-kit/

There's a parts list but it just says Joystick Module. Seems a lot of people are using the same joystick module too. Can we calibrate these things?

Looking at the parts photograph, tha appears to be a gaming thumb joystick. The slop may be due to the thumb pad on the joystick module shaft. You might remove the thumb pad and see if the shaft itself has better control.

Swap the X and Y pins on the proto board. If the problem follows the pin, then your joystick is the problem.

traderjoe: // Arduino pin numbers const int SW_pin = 2; // digital pin connected to switch output const int X_pin = 0; // analog pin connected to X output const int Y_pin = 1; // analog pin connected to Y output

Are Pin 0 and Pin 1 analog pins?

BJHenry: Are Pin 0 and Pin 1 analog pins?

For an analogRead(), yes. (OP does say it's an Uno look-alike.)

That's under the hood. A digitalRead(0) or digitalRead(1) will read the usb; analogRead(0) or analogRead(1) will read A0 or A1.

jubukraa: For an analogRead(), yes. (OP does say it's an Uno look-alike.)

That's under the hood. A digitalRead(0) or digitalRead(1) will read the usb; analogRead(0) or analogRead(1) will read A0 or A1.

Huh, is that so? Cheers for the info, I'd never come across that before.

BJHenry: Huh, is that so? Cheers for the info, I'd never come across that before.

But even so it's always wiser (I reckon) to be unambiguous.