Elevator lights control panel.

Hi All, I am a newbie to this world and I am hoping someone can assist me with a project the family has asked me to do. I have an old elevator panel which I would like to light up. It has 3 sets of lights for 15 floors. Two push button switches an up and a down. I was hoping to use arduino to control the lights so that when I press the up button the 3 sets of lights go up on the panel and when I press the same button again the lights stop and turn off. When I press the down, the lights go down etc. I would love to be able to control the speed they move and also if possible have them not synchronised so the they are not all on the same floor at the same time while going up and down.

Can it be done? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jon

Simple enough. You can start with a small scale model, a few LEDs and two buttons to get the code started. There are plenty of examples you can try with the arduino software. I worked for an elevator manufacturing company in the past, so if memory serves me right, those are 12V LEDs and if it is an old panel, they might be 120V bulbs.

As for speed, you can use the floor buttons (if you can) to set the speed.

Many thanks

I can see many examples of 5 led displays but I was wondering the process to control 45 leds?

Cheers
Jon

For that you will need shift registers, 3x 16bit or 6x 8bit.

Alternatively, use a Mega; more expensive, but has enough digital i/o out of the box.

Use a MAX7219 which drives a matrix of up to 64 LEDs with good (equal) brightness.

The simplest way of driving many LEDs, three wires to interface, one resistor and a couple of bypass capacitors.

The concern of course, is when you need groups of LEDs remotely - say more than a metre apart. Then you may have to consider multiple Arduino modules.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I am checking out the max chip for now to see how hard it will be.