Hi, I need to order parts for a computer modding project and I have no clue what to order. Was hoping for expert help.
Basically I want to mount one or a number of stepper engines to drive a panel (roof of the computer) that is connected to a switch button. Preferably I would like to power this from the computer PSU so I don't have to mount a 2nd PSU just for the stepper.
Is that possible? (Molex or USB?)
Mechanically I guess I could sort this in a number of ways, a vertically mounted led screw, push a "leaver" in a servo manner and other. It is a rather large pannel (170x500mm) so will require lift in each corner.
My idea was to make a program in Arduino with that is connected to a button (power switch). When the button is pressed the Arduino start and push the panel 30mm straight up, when the button is pressed a second time it reverse and close the panel. That is basically it.
- Can I power this from my computer PSU, Molex, USB?
- What type of stepper will be needed, 17 or 23, normal or high torque?
- Will I need more than one engine?
- Will a CNC Shield V3+UNO R3+ DRV8825 driver be a good choice?
- Any hep with a mechanical working concept would be greatly appreciated, but need to put in an order asap to have the items in time to start the project.
My idea for the mechanical solution I was thinking having 2 engines, flat profile, one in the middle of each short side (the 170mm side) with a lead screw attached to the engine with a 170mm alu profile with a center hole for the lead screw. Only problem is clearance issues as I need to be able to open the panel 20-30mm and the total room under the panel is about 60mm. Making me having to mount the engine with the shaft horizontally.
Hoping this was clear enough and relevant enough for getting a nudge in the right direction :)
Quick render of the top panel