EM-506 GPS with Sparkfun CAN sheild

Has anyone had any experience with running the EM-506 into the Sparkfun CAN shield using software serial? I am getting serial stream to pin 4 (Rx) ok, measured with a scope, but nothing registered in the buffer. I see several threads on here where using hardware serial has worked, but i dont have that option as i'm using pin3 and its interrupt for another stream. The shield comes is configured for pins 4,5 and the example which defaults to those pins does not register anything in the buffer.

Some code would be useful. A schematic, or at least a picture, would be good.

Sorry i was not asking for troll input, but from someone who knows the shield, as stated above.

Ho55: Sorry i was not asking for troll input, but from someone who knows the shield, as stated above.

Well, if you are not prepared to show your code or provide any links to prove your assertions, then good luck solving your problem.

I will answer your single question. The answer is "maybe".

So the solution was that not all pins are supported on 2560 for software serial. https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/SoftwareSerial I've switched to hardware serial and it works fine

(strangely it also didnt work on Uno where the pins should be supported by SS, but i don't have time to debug that.