EM406A GPS Shorting Out

I’m trying to hook up a EM406A GPS but whenever I plug it in, my arduino shorts out. Or least that’s what I think is happening: the on light goes off and it stops sending information to the computer. It only happens when the second GND is plugged in, the one that’s attached to pin 5 on the EM406A. So far I haven’t been able to get the LED on the EM406A to light up. I’m trying to attach the EM406A directly the arduino without the use of a shield - I stripped the wires on the cable and have been using alligator cables to connect that to the arduino. Any advice would be helpful.

Photo perhaps? The alligator clips sound a bit of a worry.

Are you sure you're not looking at the connector backwards? It's a six pin connector and pin 2 is Vin and Pin 5 is GND so if you have it backwards it would explain what you're seeing.

Here's the EM406A attached to the clips. The white cables are GND, the red is VIN, and the yellow and green are rx and tx.

Here's how the cables connect to the arduino. The breadboard is so both GND cables an attach to the same GND pin, the VIN cable is would be attached to the 5V, yellow's attach to 3, and green to 2.

And here's the whole thing together

Does that help?

wayneft:
Are you sure you're not looking at the connector backwards? It's a six pin connector and pin 2 is Vin and Pin 5 is GND so if you have it backwards it would explain what you're seeing.

The grey wire is pin 6, correct? Because I'm orienting based on that.

From the PDF file from Sparkfun:

By my reading that makes the second wire from the right (looking from above) to be Vin. But you have it second from the left.

I think I would go with the orientation from the datasheet, and not the wire colours.

Also look at this page:

He has the Vin second from the right. I suppose it depends which way you are holding the device, but it looks like top down to me.

I can't see from your photo which wire is gray, and indeed I only count 5 wires.

Yup, he has it wired backwards. Also if you don't plan on transmitting commands to the GPS you may want to leave the GPS Rx wire disconnected. The reason is I don't see a logic level converter in your layout and the GPS uses 2.85 volt logic while the Arduino uses 5 volt logic so it's not a good idea to send 5 volt signals to a device that are designed to receive 2.85 volt signals.

That did the trick. Thanks guys.