Emailing via Telnet cannot get prntln to send ":"

Hi All,
I have managed to get my Arduino to email via Telnet but i am having problems getting a particular string to work… any help would be greatly appreciated.

The end result would be an email with the body something like this:
TempF : 86

Everytime I send this:
client.println(“TempF : 86”);
The email body is blank.

If I send this:
client.println(“TempF 86”);
the body contains TempF 86 - as expected.

I have several hours of research into this and simply cannot come up with the solution.
client.print does not appear to work… only println
client.println(byte(58)); will place the “:” on its own line… but it must all be together as shown above.
if I place the “:” in a variable the result is a blank email also.

BTW I am using the code found on the old board here:
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1235534880/15

I have tried many things and am sure the answer will be simple… being a newbie to Arduino/C/telnet I am having some difficulty.
Any help is appreciated - Thanks in advance
Shane

Did you put a blank line in between the "head" part of the message and the body? That's the only thing that normally separates them, and if you put "Tempf: 86" in the header, most email clients will probably not display it...

westfw, I think the answer to your question is yes... Here is the code that i am using...

client.println("HELO itismeletschat"); /* say hello (statement after helo is needed but irrelevant)/ delay(wait); / wait for a response */

client.println("MAIL From: *@***.com"); / identify sender, this should be the same as the smtp server you are using / delay(wait); / wait for a response */

client.println("RCPT To: ****@gmail.com"); / identify recipient / delay(wait); / wait for a response */

client.println("DATA"); delay(wait); /* wait for a response */

client.println("To: ****@gmail.com"); / identify recipient */

client.println("Subject: Arduino Mail!!"); /* insert subject */

/client.println("sID : 1 TempF : 32 TempC : 0 Humidity : 68"); / insert body */ client.println("TempF : 32");

client.println("."); /* end email */

client.println("QUIT"); /* terminate connection / delay(wait); / wait for a response */

This will send an email to my account with the subject as expected but nothing in the body.

If i change the line in red (above) to client.println("TempF 32"); The body of the email contains "TempF 32"

BTW - the reason for the very specific formatting is that i am attempting to add records to a ZOHO Data Base and the required format is "ColumName : Data" I am attempting to create an Internet Temperature and Humidity Logging Application with ZOHO as the preferred back end.

Thanks Shane

Quick Note: sending the text "TempF : 32" from the Telnet command line works as expected. Therefore I think Telnet can be ruled out as the issue. - Shane

I don't see the blank line. It should be like:

client.println("DATA");
delay(wait); /* wait for a response */

client.println("To: *****@gmail.com"); /* identify recipient */
client.println("Subject: Arduino Mail!!"); /* insert subject */

client.println("");  // Separate Mail Headers from message Body

/*client.println("sID : 1 TempF : 32 TempC : 0 Humidity : 68"); /* insert body */
client.println("TempF : 32");

client.println("."); /* end email */

westfw, :D Thanks so much that was what i needed... just did not understand what was meant the first time by blank line.

If i may ask... is that documented somewhere that i missed or is it just one of those things you knew?

I also have one other question on the client.println syntax... it is related but not sure if I should ask now or start a new thread. In the example of "TempF : 32" the 32 is a variable ... can you point me in the right direction for the syntax to print "TempF : " + variable ?

Thanks Again Shane

westfw, Ok... that blank line really did the trick! Now the client.print is working also .... so i just did this

client.print("TempF : "); client.println(TempF);

To get the results i needed in the body of the e-mail. (That answers my second question above.) I assume that telnet just needed to know where the header stopped and the body started.

Thanks Shane

I assume that telnet just needed to know where the header stopped and the body started.

It's more likely that the email DID contain the "TEMP:" line, but your mail client chose not to display it (most modern mail clients choose not to display non-standard header lines by default.)

Did you try looking at the messages with 'view raw source' or equivalent?

Telnet doesn't care (or even know) about header/body separation, and most mail server software will leave all the headers that it sees (and add some more.)

RFC 2822 is the definition of SMTP message format, and it specifies an empty line separating the headers from the body.

So two things to be aware of: the blank line between headers and body, and there is special handling for any line that starts with a ".". So make sure you have the empty line between headers and body, and don't start lines with a "." and you'll be fine :)

"2822" ??!!

I feel old. "When I was a boy, we only had RFC733 !"

All, Wanted to say thanks for your help! This section of the project is now working even better than I had hoped I am looking forward to the day when i know enough to help out.

Thanks Shane

westfw: "When I was a boy, we only had RFC733 !"

You should see RFC 1149 for one of the oldest messaging protocols still being used :)