Embeding Processing in Arduino

Hey guys!

I'm new to this forum..hopin you guys can help me!

I need to embed the minim library of processing onto the arduino.

My project is a music visualizer, where i take an input from an audio jack into the arduino and flash lights accordingly.

I have done this using a serial port and processing, but now my project requires the arduino to be used stand alone.

In all I need to find a way to use the functionality of the beatdetect functions in the minim library of processing in my arduino, like importing the library in or any other ideas you may have.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

Aneesh

Processing code can not run on Arduino, so that is not an option.

You might b able to find the function you need in the Processing source code and port it to Arduino, but it's probably not easy, and on top of that, Arduino is not very good at doing floating point math.

So if I take the functions from the source code of processing, they should theoretically run in an arduino environment right?

Please someone correct me if i'm wrong!

From yesterday:

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1281908165

No it wil not.

Processing is written in Java, Arduino programs are written in C(++), so you would have to convert the Java code to C(++) to make it run.

This will only be possible if the function is small enough to fit in Arduinos limited memory.

And again please note that Arduino is very slow when it comes to floating point math, which is probably required for your code.

Thanks all for your replies!!

I’m very new to this, so please bear with my ignorant questions!

Can I use an FFT library developed for C++ on the arduino?
will a # statement do?

Can I use an FFT library developed for C++ on the arduino?

Maybe.

will a # statement do?

As a start.

For the Arduino, when a #include statement is encountered, the file is included, and the compiler knows it needs to compile the related .cpp (or .c) file. You must, therefore, have one.

The resulting compiled sketch must fit in the Arduino’s memory. This is one of the problems that you will encounter.

The second is that the FFT must be F. Typically, Fourier transforms require a bunch of multiplication and division operations, neither of which is fast on an processor that does not have a math co-processor or dedicated software to optimize multiplication and division (which would include all Arduinos).