Emulating rusty joints

Hello everyone,,
I want to make a robot out of cardboard, and then I think it would be cool if I could make it sound like it has rusty joints. In other words I want to be able to have the robot play a sound of a joint squeaking whenever it moves its joints. I don't know if or how this would be possible. I am really new to arduino, so I am really just guessing about how the logic works.

I have thought a lot about how I can best detect the movement of the joints. Proximity sensor? Motion sensor? Probably a flex sensor maybe? But there's some problems. I don't want to play sounds from every little movement, only when the joint actually moves like at least a centimeter (So it wouldnt be superannoying to listen to squeaking all the time). So I guess I could program it to just play a sound when the sensor detects movement over 1 cm. Then I wouldn't get any sound for the first cm of movement, but I don't see any way of fixing this.

And then, of course I want to sound to stop every time the joint stops moving. So this means the arduino couldn't just play a sound file everytime it detects movement, but it would also have to stop playing it whenever it no longer detects any movement. Might be possible, but it would also maybe sound bad, because the sound should preferably have a little fade when it stops, and not just instantly disappear. This might also be possible? I don't know.

I guess the real problem is doing this in real time? Because the sounds should come when the joints move, but I don't see how I can let the arduino know fast enough to play the sound. So it might just seem lagging and weird and not work at all.

If anyone have any theories as to how I might solve this, if it's at all possible, what sensors I might need, or if I could solve the problem a whole different way, I would really appreaciate it. Thanks!

If you new to Arduino learn to code first – play with basic stuff like turning LED on off, reading inputs, rotary encoders and so on. Learn communication protocols like I2C ans SPI and use them to communicate to modules.

After learning all above then you could have a chance to make what you want.

And the most important thing you have to learn if you want to do anything that you don't know about is to use google!

Are you a new person who wants to start by building a robot?

Is the robot controlled by Arduino or just a person in a cardboard suit or pulling strings? I ask because the former is a major task for anyone with a lot of experience, a very very long goal for someone who has not written code or wired motors.

Mechanically connect a box turkey call to the joint.

If you google “ engine noise Arduino” , there are some car engine noise emulators , you could adapt one of those - the coding probably not for a beginner tho.

GabrialKhan:
Hello everyone,,
I want to make a robot out of cardboard, and then I think it would be cool if I could make it sound like it has rusty joints. In other words I want to be able to have the robot play a sound of a joint squeaking whenever it moves its joints. I don't know if or how this would be possible. I am really new to arduino, so I am really just guessing about how the logic works.

Building the robot is a pretty tall order for a newbie. But adding sound once it's built is a trivial endeavor. You'll need the DF-Player to play mp3 files from an SD card.

GabrialKhan:
I have thought a lot about how I can best detect the movement of the joints. Proximity sensor? Motion sensor? Probably a flex sensor maybe? But there's some problems. I don't want to play sounds from every little movement, only when the joint actually moves like at least a centimeter (So it wouldnt be superannoying to listen to squeaking all the time). So I guess I could program it to just play a sound when the sensor detects movement over 1 cm. Then I wouldn't get any sound for the first cm of movement, but I don't see any way of fixing this.

You don't need any sort of sensor. You have code running on the Arduino telling the joints to move. That same code can play the music. The code knows when it moves a joint and how far (and how fast) and can pick the right sound based on that. If you code it right. This is again, a pretty tall order for a noob. Usually you start simple and work your way up to something like that.

GabrialKhan:
And then, of course I want to sound to stop every time the joint stops moving. So this means the arduino couldn't just play a sound file everytime it detects movement, but it would also have to stop playing it whenever it no longer detects any movement. Might be possible, but it would also maybe sound bad, because the sound should preferably have a little fade when it stops, and not just instantly disappear. This might also be possible? I don't know.

Again, you're the one writing the code to make it stop, you don't have to detect that. You just write your code to do both things at the same time.

GabrialKhan:
I guess the real problem is doing this in real time? Because the sounds should come when the joints move, but I don't see how I can let the arduino know fast enough to play the sound. So it might just seem lagging and weird and not work at all.

The Arduino is more than fast enough to do this.

GabrialKhan:
If anyone have any theories as to how I might solve this, if it's at all possible, what sensors I might need, or if I could solve the problem a whole different way, I would really appreaciate it. Thanks!

I think you've got this backwards. Your first job is to build the robot. Adding sound to it later is trivial.