ENC28J60 + Diecimila = corrupt Serial Data?

Hi, i've got a problem using the ENC28j60 Breakout Board with my old Diecimila. I'm using the EtherCard library and the back soon example works all right. Things start to go bad when i test a sketch which writes the data to serial (i.e. DNS, IP , etc. ). Using a newer Arduino Uno there is no Problem at all. When i connect the Ethernet Board to my Diecimila the serial data is somewhat corrupt. I think i read somewhere on my searches for a solution that the Diemuleova uses the same pins for usb serial that are used for communicating with the Board but i couldn't find anything about this elsewhere.

Now my question is what causes the serial data to look that way? Is the Diecimila incapable of the 57600 baud rate used in most examples (because it looks like the wrong baud rate was chosen). Or is it something with the serial line being used for both.

On thing odd i noticed was that the LED on Pin13 is slightly lit on the Diecimila when the Board is connected. That is not the case with the UNO.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

i've got a problem using the ENC28j60 Breakout Board with my old Diecimila.

Which uses a ATMega168, right?

Using a newer Arduino Uno there is no Problem at all.

Which uses a ATMega328 with twice the memory.

I think that we can safely assume that the Diecimila simply does not have enough memory.

On thing odd i noticed was that the LED on Pin13 is slightly lit on the Diecimila when the Board is connected. That is not the case with the UNO.

Pin 13 is part of the SPI set of pins. You should not be trying to do anything (else) with pin 13. If only the Ethernet shield is manipulating pin 13, then the fact that the LED is one sometimes is OK.

Thanks for the input. I ordered an Atmega328 to try if that resolves the problem.

I was just curious because different sketches that let the arduino work as a web server do work and its just the serial.println that messes things up.

I was just curious because different sketches that let the arduino work as a web server do work and its just the serial.println that messes things up.

It's not likely ONE Serial.print() that messes things up. It's the collection of Serial.print() statements that consume a lot of SRAM.