Encapsulated transformer

Hi I am in the middle of a little build to control a heated plate warmer. everything is set up to go but at the moment i have to use 2 plugs(one for warmer, 1 for arduino) and have found in a box of electronics a"thai lin tl30s-120-125(n)" 230v - 12v Encapsulated transformer and am wondering if its possible/how i would go about adding this to my circuit so i can use 1 plug. this would both save plugs and give the warmer a more appliance like feel. it looks pretty much like an older ssr(4 pins in pairs) but am not 100% if it needs any support circuitry. thanx evo

Is it merely a transformer that puts out 12Vac? Or is it a simple unregulated 12Vdc power supply? Or does it have a linear regulator inside? Or is it a SMPS? How much current?

You are going to have to test it. Unless one of us has the power of remote viewing and ESP...

If it's one of the units described on this datasheet http://www.thailin.com.hk/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/086-088-Catalog-sheet-TL30DS-ErP-with-NEW-logo-_Yr2012_.pdf then it's just a transformer that puts out 12V AC. You can use it with a bridge rectifier and smoothing capacitor with it to generate about 17V unregulated DC, which you can feed into the barrel jack of the Arduino. However, 17V is rather high, and if you are drawing much current from the Arduino 5V supply, then the regulator is likely to overheat. It would be better to use the 7.2v version of that transformer.

It has two 12V windings.

"Lucked out" on that one - if it had two 6V windings to make 12V you could have used either of two rectifier connections to produce 9V suitable for the Arduino.

As it is, the only appropriate way to use it would be with a switchmode down-regulator.