Encoder mapping?

Hello i have a radio encoder i took from a broken truck radio. I looked online and typed the numbers that is on there and found the full radio from which it came from. But What i couldn’t find is a pin layout of which pins are which I’m building a Oled menu and i would like to use this encoder because it also haves a push button function on it. There are 5 pins from left to right but I’m not sure how to map this encoder. Does anyone have any idea where i can start at? I was thinking of first start to do the push button to see which pins they are on but after that I’m unsure. I really need help please can someone help me?

Joseph

A picture would go a long way in helping find it. It makes sure everyone is on the same page as to what you are describing.

Use a multimeter to buzz it out. The push button is easy, the A and B channels will change as you turn it.
There may be a single common connection for both button and encoder, or possibly separate ones.

Hello tinman i thought i did upload the images. Something went wrong my fault sorry about that. Hope this works.

Like Mark stated, it should be pretty easy to meter that one out. It's just a generic make-or-break setup. I would imagine the pin with the trace on top is the A channel, and the 2 center pins are for the button. There might be a common pin for the logic level.

When you use this, it must use pull-up/down resistors.

Pin 1 and Pin 5 are for button only so far. I have tried pin one to four and nothing worked. Then i tried Pin 5 and pin 2,3,4 Nothing happens. The three middle pins are for the encoding part. So i tired pin 2 with pin 3 and turned the knob that set off the meter. So did pin 2 with pin 4 that also set off the meter. Then i tried pin 3 and pin four that set off the meter. No matter what combo between pin 2 and pin 4 that made the meter beep. So that part is good. Now i have to figure out which pins are for which.

An o-scope would make quick work out of the center pins. One is a common pin, and the other 2 lead/lag the other but both can be on at the same time.

You might be able to figure this out with a couple led's. On a breadboard, set up 2 led's and their resistors. connect each to power. Connect the anode of each to a pin , and connect the last pin to ground. To clarify, you will have a led/resistor circuit connected to 2 of the pins, and ground connected to the third. Rotate the encoder smoothly. The led's should start turning on/off evenly, with one leading the other but they should both be on for the same amount of time. If they are not consistent, change the leads around until they are. Once they are consistent, the ground wire will denote the common pin, and the other 2 pins are A/B.

Use led's that draw minimal power, and not any high power lights. The typical signal led with a 220 Ohm resistor is just fine.