Encoder-Resolution?

I have this "staged" 360° Encoder..
Everything works fine except the resolution of this thing seems a litte... not precisely(?)..
.. when you turn it slowly.. and want only just 1 step up/down.. it is reading 3/4/5 steps..
I would need the encoder reading exact 1 when i turn him one step.

Is this a hardware thing? or a software-thing?

I mean.. i COULD code something like .. was moved -> iterate through allowed values .. but is this it? is this the way i should go? or should I just buy a other encoder?

AdmiralCrunch:
I have this "staged" 360° Encoder..
Everything works fine except the resolution of this thing seems a litte... not precisely(?)..
.. when you turn it slowly.. and want only just 1 step up/down.. it is reading 3/4/5 steps..
I would need the encoder reading exact 1 when i turn him one step.

I mean.. i COULD code something like .. was moved -> iterate through allowed values .. but is this it? is this the way i should go? or should I just buy a other encoder?

Depends on what kind of encoder you have. Probably best to state make/model of your encoder. There are 'absolute' rotary encoders, and there are 'incremental' rotary encoders.

Yes.

Sounds like contact bounce on the encoder. How have you got it wired up?

AdmiralCrunch:

The issue could be you, yourself. What I mean here is.... if the resolution of the encoder is relatively high, and you're only using your fingers to turn it, then the encoder could certainly skip a few steps.

On the other hand, if you have a stepper motor that does 'micro-stepping' to turn the encoder, then the jumping might not occur.

If that is the issue, then (for your hand turning system) you could probably get the software to output 1 count for every (for exampled) 4 counts. It all depends on how many counts we have (in total) for a full 360 degree resolution. If ... if 1024 counts per revolution, you probably don't want to use the software to do 1 count for every 5 counts.... because 5 divided into 1024 isn't a integer number.

On the other hand, if your encoder has 200 counts per revolution, then making it output 1 artificial count for every 4 encoder counts (or even every 5 counts) is ok.

But...... also, on the other hand, if outputting 1 count for any particular number of counts is ok with you, then that's ok too.

Hi

Southpark:
Depends on what kind of encoder you have. Probably best to state make/model of your encoder. There are 'absolute' rotary encoders, and there are 'incremental' rotary encoders.

oh sorry.. it was this one

Sounds like contact bounce on the encoder. How have you got it wired up?

I now did it like:
ENCODER -------------- ARDUINO
left pin --- 3k3 resistor --- 5v
left pin --- 10nF capacitor --- GND
left pin ---------------------- 5
middle pin ------------------- GND
right pin --- 3k3 resistor --- 5v
right pin --- 10nF capacitor --- GND
right pin ---------------------- 6

it now seems to read constant 4 steps for one mechanical turn

if the resolution of the encoder is relatively high, and you're only using your fingers to turn it, then the encoder could certainly skip a few steps.

it is a incremental encoder.. so every mechanical turn snaps/clicks into place

Assuming that means a turn by one click then this is the correct result. You can often get false readings if you put pressure on the shaft as you turn.

AdmiralCrunch:
it is a incremental encoder.. so every mechanical turn snaps/clicks into place

Make sure to double check the specs. I read some specs, and it reckons 24 pulses for a full turn.

and want only just 1 step up/down.. it is reading 3/4/5 steps..

That's how they all work - you cannot guarantee exect steps per detent-step,
the engineering is not that precise for a rotary switch. Each cycle of a quadrature
encoder is 4 edges, so 4 steps.

This is something that you have to deal with in software. 2 or more steps is a
detent, 6 or more is two, etc, just keep absolute track of the change since powering up.