Endless spinning wheel and a wheel that "snaps" into certain angles.

Hey guys, my name is Cedric and I'm a computer science student.
Lately I wanted to get into Arduino and my goal is to create controls for a selfmade game,
that are heavily inspired from this japanese arcande game called "KanColle Arcade":

For the controls an endless spinning wheel is needed.
After a bit of research I figuered that using a rotary encoder is the best way to build a endless spinning wheel, since the encoder has no limit(compared to a potentiometer), is that correct?

The other part of the control is the "gear shift" (right side of the picture) that kind of looks like something out of a train or ship.
It basically a rotating wheel, only that it snaps instead of moving freely.
You can see on the picture that those snapping levels are used to control the speed of the ships in the game.
This one is tricky, as I have no idea how to make such a thing.

Generally I'm very new to electronics as I'm coming from the programming side.
So far I did not buy any components for this project, I'm only brainstorming.

If you guys have any tips for me, I would greatly appreciate!
Thank you very much.

You might as well buy proper arcade controls. You can get those exact ones if you wanted. Find the maker, supplier, or arcade repair co.
I use arcade buttons for a lot of my projects.

nRageD:
The other part of the control is the "gear shift" (right side of the picture) that kind of looks like something out of a train or ship.
You can see on the picture that those snapping levels are used to control the speed of the ships in the game.
This one is tricky, as I have no idea how to make such a thing.

You can rip off the knob selector mechanism from a cheap manual ranging chinese multimeter.

The multimeter costed me about 2$ equivalent in Indian Rupee including the battery. The spare battery alone costs 1$ in local markets here.

That is probably also a rotary encoder, also called knob encoder. You can buy them with or without detents.

Thanks guys for the awesome suggestions! I will look through it and see what works best for me. Often times I have trouble googling that stuff, because I dont really know the english vocabulary for certain parts.