Environmentally Friendly Water Tanks...

Environmentally Friendly Water Tanks... they're great but both myself and a mate of mine tend to not use them as much as we should due to the low pressure issue...

So here's what i'm thinking, I'm going to create An Arduino based (i'll move it over to PCB for finial job) sprinkler circuit, or at least that is until i've worked out the theory hence why i want to kick it about here, i'll open hardware anything i eventually come up with ..

But, mistake me if i'm wrong, regular sprinklers require the water,. pressure to be high enough, if it's low it wont sprinkle, i've seen low pressure sprinklers to do the job, but the down side is a lot less water is released...

So, how about slapping on a 6v motor and an Arduino (if you want environmentally friendly a rechargeable 12v battery and a solar panel to go with! if you need a sprinkler, chances are you got lots of sun light :slight_smile:

So will a motor, slapped on a regular sprinkler (with mods to drive it?) give it enough force to replicate the effect of the regular water from a regular sprinkler.....

You have to size the motor ans flow rate to suit the sprinkler design.

Hoze lock do some very small sprinklers about 50 cm pattern which work well driven from 24 v pumps of about 3 litre per min.
It will drive several such sprinklers or drip heads.

Good enough for plants but not lawns…

Boardburner2:
You have to size the motor ans flow rate to suit the sprinkler design.

Hoze lock do some very small sprinklers about 50 cm pattern which work well driven from 24 v pumps of about 3 litre per min.
It will drive several such sprinklers or drip heads.

Good enough for plants but not lawns..

Edit

Driving a lawn sprinkler will probably require a pump of around 100 to 200 watts.

Driving a lawn sprinkler will probably require a pump of around 100 to 200 watts.

Really? The "booster pump" for my automatic pool cleaner seems to generate similar pressure/flow to the municipal water supply, and it's 3/4HP (~1500W) (and it needs the main pool pump feeding its input too, although that may just be a "getting the supply through the pipes" problem.)

Depends on size of lawn.

More pressure greater the range.

Larder Pond fountain pumps are typically around 100 watts up.
Although low pressure they can cover a decent area with the right head.

With rainwater harvesting, if solar power is used generally low power systems run for longer are used, ie more of but smaller sprinklers.

3/4 hp pump shifts a lot of water, mine with 2 in pipe on it will empty a 50 gallon containet in under a minute, thats with no back pressure though.

Just for the sake of i tried a measurment.
Municipal supply here is 8 l per min fully open.
Static pressure is 3 bar,

Pressure measured at the sprinlkler head full on is something under 4 psi, meter is not that good low down though.

Sprinkler covered a diameter of 5 metres.

Using a different sprinkler at higher pressure i can cover 4 times that but delivery is lower and sprinkler has to run for much longer to water a lawn.

I dont generally bother watering the lawn as water use here is metered and uses a lot of water.

I just use for plants while away, dont use an arduino though, just a soil moisture sensor rather than a timer.