EPPROM

HI Guys,

I am trying to save a calibration table on the extra memory that I have in the Arduino-Micro board. The file formatting is .txt , comma delimited. I wanna be able to have it saved there + offcourse the sketch that I wrote to control the board.

Next, I wanna be able to read it from VC++ or C# . I already wrote a code that control my board and does everything else. I just wanna add a button that will grabe the cal file and save it to the desktop. Is that possible ? ANd if not is there a work around ?

Please help

The correct spelling is "EEPROM". That should help your Google searches.

I just wanna add a button that will grabe the cal file and save it to the desktop. Is that possible ?

No. That would be like clicking a switch on the Arduino and expecting to save data on my computer.

You can send data to the serial port. Some application on the PC needs to read that data and save it to a file.

Rather than saving data in EEPROM, saving it in a file on an SD card seems like it might have been a better idea. Easier to copy the file to the PC, at least.

Thanks for the reply , But I want to clear something up

I don't wanna save data from Arduino, or from any sensor that is connected to Arduino. I have a cal file that I needed to be save on the EEPROM or on the flash memory.

BTW does anyone know what is the ": SKetch -> ADD file " button do ?

thanks

what is the ": SKetch → ADD file " button do ?

Surprisingly enough it adds a file to the current program by prompting you which file to add, then creating a new tab in the IDE which gives access to editing the file.

Try it and see

I have a cal file that I needed to be save on the EEPROM or on the flash memory.

And that has what to do with saving data to the desktop? The Arduino doesn't come in a desk, so it doesn't have a desktop, drawers, or a desk chair.

Interesting , so If i used the add file button to add a text file to my sketch, then uploaded it to my arduino Micro Board,Does that means I will be uploading the txt file as well ?????

If the above true , then this is a great news, then I can dump the flash memory into a file in my desktop, through the usb/serial. Is that feasible ?

If i used the add file button to add a text file to my sketch, then uploaded it to my arduino Micro Board,Does that means I will be uploading the txt file as well

No. The IDE will compile the contents of the extra file or files into the project, not just simply upload it to the Arduino in some way.

Yes, but is ther away to read the flash memory using serial port

Yes, but is ther away to read the flash memory using serial port

No. You can use the serial port to send the Arduino a request, like <"Hey, there, Mr. Arduino, could you please tell me what's stored in EEPROM?>".

Then, when the Arduino got such a request (or, just maybe something simpler), it could generate a suitable response.

Okay But the EPPROM is only 1kb , My Cal file is around 10 Ks, that is why i am hoping to access the flash memory file. How about if i createa header file and defined the variables in the header file . can I read those variable using C++ ? after compiling .

can I read those variable using C++ ?

Can you get the contents of a variable that you have defined? It would be a useless exercise creating variables if you couldn't access the contents, wouldn't it? Write-only variables...

Yes that is a good question!! Hummm I actually don't know

bemin:
Yes that is a good question!! Hummm I actually don’t know

It was a trick question. The answer is “well, duh, of course”.

Hahah, DUhhh*** On the top of your head, Can you five an example on how possible we can do that

Can I save a zip file in the EEPPROM tho ??

bemin: Can I save a zip file in the EEPPROM tho ??

A ZIP file is a series of bytes. The EEPROM holds a series of bytes.

So, subject to space being available you could, indeed, save a ZIP file to the EEPROM by reading it a byte at a time from the PC and saving them. Once there, what would you do with it ?

Well If I successfully were able to save it there then I will call it from C++ to be transferred or open on a Desktop but I am not sure how to do that tho ? how to read it fro the PC? Since the EEPROM have only few function

Functions

read() write() update() get() put() EEPROM[]

AND

"EEPROM Read: Read the EEPROM and send its values to the computer. EEPROM Write: Stores values from an analog input to the EEPROM."

How can I read from the computer to the EEPROM ????

how to read it fro the PC?

I have a book. The book has 1024 pages. There is one letter per page. How do YOU think you could determine what is on page 937 of MY book?

PaulS: I have a book. The book has 1024 pages. There is one letter per page. How do YOU think you could determine what is on page 937 of MY book?

Only If I know the exact address for the line on your book