Error compiling ANY code with Web Editor, even proved code.

Hi, I got the error:

./opt/arduino-builder/arduino-builder -compile -core-api-version 10611 -hardware opt/arduino-builder/hardware -hardware ./opt/cores -tools opt/arduino-builder/tools -tools ./opt/tools -built-in-libraries opt/libraries/latest -logger humantags -fqbn arduino:avr:uno -build-cache /tmp -build-path /tmp/583472006/build -verbose -prefs -prefs -prefs -libraries /tmp/583472006/custom -libraries /tmp/583472006/pinned /tmp/583472006/Timer Using library liquidcrystal_1_0_7 at version 1.0.7 in folder: /home/ubuntu/opt/libraries/latest/liquidcrystal_1_0_7 lto1: fatal error: bytecode stream generated with LTO version 3.0 instead of the expected 4.1 compilation terminated. lto-wrapper: fatal error: ./opt/tools/avr-gcc/5.4.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino2/bin/avr-gcc returned 1 exit status compilation terminated. /home/ubuntu/opt/tools/avr-gcc/5.4.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino2/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/5.4.0/../../../../avr/bin/ld: error: lto-wrapper failed collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status exit status 1

When checking code. The problem is not related to the code itself, because I get it even if I comment out everything, or if I try to check code that's 100% tested and compiled OK until now.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

There are problems with the latest release of the IDE (1.8.7). It may be that if the web version is using the same build that you will experience problems as well. Most have retreated to an earlier, stable release.

There are multiple other reports of this bug:

I recommend subscribing to those threads so that you'll be sure to get news of any progress in fixing it.

This is an Arduino Web Editor specific problem so the workaround is to use the regular Arduino IDE, which you can download for free from:

Hello, please follow topic Issue 2018-10-30: lto-wrapper error prevent compilations for further information and updates about this.

Thank you.

Hi, Thank you all for your replies. Today I compiled THE SAME SKETCH with another computer and it compiled without any errors. Strange, since the compilation happens in a remote server of Arduino project and not in my local computer. Yesterday I failed to find the proper thread (I did search), but now I see it's a known problem. Thanks for pointing me to the right thread.

Thank you.