Error compiling for board NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP-12E Module)

Python --version: Python 3.7.2

Error message:
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _getentropy
Referenced from: /Users/xxxx/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/tools/python3/3.7.2-post1/python3
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: _getentropy
Referenced from: /Users/xxxx/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/tools/python3/3.7.2-post1/python3
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

signal: trace/BPT trap
/Users/xxxx/Downloads/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder returned 255
Error compiling for board NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP-12E Module).

Anyone know how to solve it?

I just did some updates and now am also having the exact same problem. I tried to go back to an earlier version of esp8266 but that has not helped.

Hello there,
same here.
Tried 2 ESP8266 boards (working) and tried to update/change my code.
On every Arduino-IDE Version I tried and ESP-Versions I get these errors and nothing works.

Is someone there, who can help us?
Kind regards,
Chris

PS. Tried to compile an empty code with ESP-Board selected. Same errors...

This is still happening, in August, with Arduino 1.8.13. When will this be fixed?

I figured it out, not the most elegant solution but you just need to install an older version of the esp8266 package (2.5.0 or lower).

If you don't know how:

Tools
Board
Boards Manager
(Search esp8266)
Select version
Install

Hopefully it works for you to!

1 Like

@jacgold54 omg thank you for posting this fix. I was about to lose my mind. totally works.

I'm running Arduino IDE 1.8.13 on a Mac OS 10.10.5 with a couple brand new boards from Adafruit and nothing was compiling till I downgraded the ESP8266 package to 2.5.0

Um, has this been reported to the ESP8266 arduino folks (they don't follow these forums - I think they have their own). What changed? OS update?

I'm run IDE 1.8.12 on Windows 10 Home and have discovered this problem with ESP8266 version 2.7.1

Tried downgrading to 2.5.0 and even 2.0.0 and still have same problem. After each reinstallation I shut down IDE and even the PC and restarted with no success.

Interesting I can run ESP8266 / Blink and it compiles OK but more complex code fails.

Looking forward to solution being resolved and advised in this forum.

Cheers all...

tomsepe:
@jacgold54 omg thank you for posting this fix. I was about to lose my mind. totally works.

I'm running Arduino IDE 1.8.13 on a Mac OS 10.10.5 with a couple brand new boards from Adafruit and nothing was compiling till I downgraded the ESP8266 package to 2.5.0

When you managed to get a good result using the downgraded 2.5.0 were you running the same code & hardware where previously you had failures? For example I can get 2.7.1 working failure free with a simple 'Blink' code BUT not with more complicated code.

Look forward to your advice, Cheers

APPARENT SUCCESS… After upgrading IDE to 1.8.13 still no change, problem remains BUT…

Had a closer look at what the error reports / compiler was telling me and discovered following…

We all know that all of the addins etc should be stored in C:\Users\My Name\Documents\Arduino\libraries\

BUT I discover that the compiler was having a reference to following:

C:\Users\Ny Name\AppData\Local\Arduino15\

So after backing this folder up elsewhere in case needed, then deleting the same folder I then restarted the IDE but reference to ESP8266 boards was now missing. In IDE I went into Board Manager found ESP8266 missing so reinstalled same. It would appear that the ESP code was in this deleted folder.
Restated IDE and now all OK with no compiler errors.

I expect that there may be some libraries that I may need to reinstall in future but that is a simple task.

Lesson in all of this when desperate, just read the clues in the compiler messages & clean up installation OR just uninstall the IDE and reinstall completely

Comments welcome… Cheers