Error Compiling SoftwareSerialExample for Arduino MEGA ADK

Hi,

Frequent reader, but first time writing/asking. Please forgive me if this topic has been cover before, I promise I have searched the forum and internet only to come up short. I'd be very grateful if anyone could me with an issue concerning the SoftwareSerial library (I think). My set-up comprises:

Windows XP Version 1.0.5 of the Arduino software Arduino MEGA ADK (and an UNO)

My problem concerns the SoftwareSerialExample, when I load and compile this script directly from the example list (on a fresh installation of the OS and Arduino software), I get the following compiling error:

c:/program files/arduino/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/../../../../avr/lib/avr6/crtm2560.o: In function `__vector_default':
(.vectors+0xdc): relocation truncated to fit: R_AVR_13_PCREL against symbol `__vector_55' defined in .text.__vector_55 section in core.a(HardwareSerial.cpp.o)

I'd be very grateful if anyone could confirm if there are known issues with the SoftwareSerial library and the Arduino Mega?

Kind Regards

Donald

I am getting the same problem on Windows 7 and Win XP. Pretty frustrating when you can’t even get the examples working.

You get this error in case you did not declare the type of the function.

e.g.

No error: int var = MyFun(5);

The error: var = MyFun(5);

int MyFun (int a){ b = 2 + a; return b; }