error compiling

In preparation for a due board I purchased, I installed the ide version 1.5.7. It installed without errors. However, when attempting to compile any code I get a message error compiling. Attached are the output from the compile with verbose option selected.

ard157err.txt (1.47 KB)

Without seeing the sketch that you are trying to compile it's rather difficult to offer any advice.

The first problem is that you need to select Arduino Due in the Tools -> Boards menu.

The second problem may be that some of your libraries are specific to AVR, and will need updating.

First, I should have supplied more detail. The sketch was the example blink. Second my pc is Windows 7. Third the device I connected was an UNO R3. I have 2 Uno R3 boards and 3 Mega2560 boards.

Anything I compile on 1.05r works fine. with any of these boards and any ATtiny84 chips I have.

I will try renaming the libraries folder after installing 1.5.7 to see if it is any of the added libraries causes the problem.

I removed version 1.05r and renamed my hardware and libraries folders. I then ran the install for 1.5.7 as an administrator. Next I ran the shortcut icon to bring up the IDE which created an empty libraries folder. I select the blink example with a mega2560 as my board and ran the compile (left check mark) and it failed. I selected an Uno and did a compile only. It failed. I selected a due with the due programing port. It compiled. I selected the native usb port for due. It compiled.

Other than using a different development machine for the due, can you make any suggestions so I can compile for any of my boards? The Due was just shipped so I don't have it quite yet.

mboroff:
In preparation for a due board I purchased, I installed the ide version 1.5.7. It installed without errors. However, when attempting to compile any code I get a message error compiling. Attached are the output from the compile with verbose option selected.

Not certain but that doesn't seem to have any errors - what was the sketch (in full, post it in
code tags) and the error messages (in full, unedited)?

I don't quite understand why you need a copy of the example blink but here it is. Board selected is uno port com8. Same for selecting mega2560. Code compiles ok for DUE.

/*
  Blink
  Turns on an LED on for one second, then off for one second, repeatedly.

Most Arduinos have an on-board LED you can control. On the Uno and
  Leonardo, it is attached to digital pin 13. If you're unsure what
  pin the on-board LED is connected to on your Arduino model, check
  the documentation at http://arduino.cc

This example code is in the public domain.

modified 8 May 2014
  by Scott Fitzgerald
 */

// the setup function runs once when you press reset or power the board
void setup() {
  // initialize digital pin 13 as an output.
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
}

// the loop function runs over and over again forever
void loop() {
  digitalWrite(13, HIGH);   // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
  delay(1000);              // wait for a second
  digitalWrite(13, LOW);    // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
  delay(1000);              // wait for a second
}

Error messages:
Arduino: 1.5.7 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Uno"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=157 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard C:\Users\Marty\AppData\Local\Temp\build3799230731747714191.tmp\Blink.cpp -o C:\Users\Marty\AppData\Local\Temp\build3799230731747714191.tmp\Blink.cpp.o

Let me also add the ide version 1.5.6 compiles for each of the three boards without errors.

Hello mboroff,
Please, post the error messages. Most of the time they indicate a code line or library file reference like...

Blink.ino:XX:XX: error: 'salfslld' was not declared in this scope

p

Ther is no error message. It just says Error Compiling. This could be a Windows 7 error. I installed 1.5.7 on a netbook running windows xp and blink compiles ok. Anyway I will upload a photo of the IDE.

I've been running the IDE 1.5.7 for a week without problems. I must say my Arduino libraries folder is always empty (I always like that way). If you want the same way, backup (copy-save in safe area of your hard drive) all your Arduino libraries and clean the folder located at:

C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Arduino\libraries

Then, try to compile again.

p

I don’t think empty libraries makes a difference as I already tried a run with the hardware folder renamed to oldhardware and libraries folder renamed to oldlibraries. When I brought up the IDE it created a new folder called libraries with a read me.txt file in it.

The compile fails fairly quickly on avr devices but not due. So is there some debugging I can do besides turning on verbose. As I understand the IDE is issuing the equivalence of command lines to run the compile so is it possible I could run first couple of commands manually to try to catch the failure. Or better yet is there any kind setting file that will allow some debugging setting.

mboroff:
I don't think empty libraries makes a difference as I already tried a run with the hardware folder renamed to oldhardware and libraries folder renamed to oldlibraries. When I brought up the IDE it created a new folder called libraries with a read me.txt file in it.

The compile fails fairly quickly on avr devices but not due. So is there some debugging I can do besides turning on verbose. As I understand the IDE is issuing the equivalence of command lines to run the compile so is it possible I could run first couple of commands manually to try to catch the failure. Or better yet is there any kind setting file that will allow some debugging setting.

Hey, press the button marked "Copy error messages" - that's what it's for! Then paste here....

Here you go!

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=157 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard C:\Users\Marty\AppData\Local\Temp\build1208768339966323662.tmp\Blink.cpp -o C:\Users\Marty\AppData\Local\Temp\build1208768339966323662.tmp\Blink.cpp.o

Looks just like the stuff posted previously.

Due selected

Build options changed, rebuilding all

Sketch uses 10,628 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 524,288 bytes.

mboroff:
Here you go!

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=157 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard C:\Users\Marty\AppData\Local\Temp\build1208768339966323662.tmp\Blink.cpp -o C:\Users\Marty\AppData\Local\Temp\build1208768339966323662.tmp\Blink.cpp.o

Looks just like the stuff posted previously.

Ah, ok! I was expecting more output because there doesn't seem to be any error in there, it looks like a normal compile command.

So perhaps that means that the IDE is not capturing the error. it would be useful to know what it is so the output could be improved. Catch 22!

If you have "Show verbose output during compilation" already switched on (which I think you do), I'm not sure if there is any other logging.

Stumps me too. I tried updating the arduino code with the nightly build and got the same results.

In the mean time I have installed version 1.5.6 from the prior version page. It seems to work correctly. Since my personal goal was to build a development environment that will support the Uno, Mega2560 and Due boards, I will leave this version in place. It compiles and uploads my latest projects correctly. And I also have 1.5.7 running ok on my netbook (although it runs very slow).

So one final question, has a date been set when the beta version of 1.5.7 will go general release?