Error..did not find usb

I am trying to upload code the "blink" sketch to a new pro trinket with micro usb cable. I have added the URL as suggested in the preferences. I have then installed it under Board Manager. I have also went into tools and selected the 5v/16 MHz (usb). I keep getting this following error when I attempt to upload. avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

The programmer defaults to AVRISP mkII so I left it there and it gives me this error. I did tried the other programmers but they just give different error messages. I am not sure what else to try. Is it possible I have the wrong type of Micro USB cable??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You're supposed to choose USBtinyISP from the Tools > Programmers menu.

I tried that and it gives me the error...avrdude: error: could not find usbtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)

Are you using Windows? You need to install the driver, see the instructions at https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-pro-trinket/windows-setup.

No I am using Mac and i downloaded arduino 1.6.4. I then went into preferences and added the URL for the pro trinket and installed it as well. Still not working.

You could try a different USB cable. You could have a bad cable or there are charging cables that don't connect the data pins.

I will give that a try. So I want to make sure it is a “data” micro usb?

That's correct. I bought a cable on eBay a while back which turned out to be a charging cable even though that was not stated in the description and it caused me some confusion trying to figure out why my Arduino wasn't working even though the LEDs were lit.

I picked up a sync and charge cable and tried it but it still gives the same error. "Could not find USBtiny device.

Any other suggestions?

I should also mention I am using mac os x 10.7.3