Error in Arduino

Hi,

Does anyone know what causes this error: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 and the very similar: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x4f ?

Camerart.

It happens because the bootloader of the Arduino is not responding as expected. It can be caused by a large assortment of configuration, hardware, or user errors.

The Help / Troubleshooting command takes you to a lot of useful information about problems like this.

Thanks John and Peter,

I am trying to program radio control TX and RX boards, and am able to with another program and a USBasp prorgammer, but not the easier way, an FTDI programmer and Arduino. Is there a way of programming using USBasp in Arduino? In TOOLS>>>programmer, it does show USBasp, but it seem to need a com port, and there isn't one.

I'll check the trouble shooter.

Cheers, Camerart

use the getting started/trouble shooting part of the forum.

Mark

Ok, Mark.

I have been trying to get Arduino to work for weeks, and I think I've seen 'everything' three times on the web about it, but probably a tiny thing is stopping me.

I've been banging my head with this today :http://tutorial.cytron.com.my/2011/09/30/how-to-program-arduino-by-using-avr-usbasp-programmer/ but not it's working so far.

Cheers.

I bought a “new” Uno online and could not get it to work, getting the same error you do. Out of desperation, I tried it with a pre-1.0 release of the IDE and it worked. I guess that says that something’s screwy with the bootloader or perhaps the drivers.

Thanks Jack,

As far as I can understand (which isn't much) I don't think the problem is the bootloader, but getting Arduino to choose the correct settings: Com port, baud rate, or USBasp settings for example.

It is a pity that there isn't a good trouble shooter available with every error.

After changing setting, I now get different errors, so I'm doing somthing, if not simply bricking it :)

Cheers, Camerart.

After many hours and late nights trying to get Arduino to program using either FTDI or USBusp programmer, I've succeeded!! Instead of using the arrow next to the tick on Arduino, use FILE>>>>Upload using programmer. There might be orange errors at the end of the programming, depending on which Arduino/Avrdude is installed, but try ignoring them.

Thanks to all who replied.

Cheers, Camerart.

camerart:
After many hours and late nights trying to get Arduino to program using either FTDI or USBusp programmer, I’ve succeeded!! Instead of using the arrow next to the tick on Arduino, use FILE>>>>Upload using programmer.

One thing to note: Once you “Upload using Programmer” the bootloader will no longer get control. If you want to switch back to using the bootloader you have to use Tools->Burn Bootloader to put a fresh bootloader on.

johnwasser:

camerart: After many hours and late nights trying to get Arduino to program using either FTDI or USBusp programmer, I've succeeded!! Instead of using the arrow next to the tick on Arduino, use FILE>>>>Upload using programmer.

One thing to note: Once you "Upload using Programmer" the bootloader will no longer get control. If you want to switch back to using the bootloader you have to use Tools->Burn Bootloader to put a fresh bootloader on.

I used the USB to put the bootloader on now I can program using FTDI. I have been going round in circles for months, and I'm sure I have done this before, but perhaps in not the correct order, and it sometimes takes a different eye to solve the problem.

Thanks very much John.