error in code "before else"

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>
LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 5, 4, 3, 2)
const int switchPin = 6;
// receiving an input from a switch\

int switchState = 0
int prevSwitchState = 0;
//upon startup display “Welcome to trigger systems.” - hold for 5 seconds then clear to display “Push to open”
void setup() {
lcd.begin(16,2);
pinMode(switchPin,INPUT);
lcd.print(“Welcome to”);
lcd.setCursor(0, 1);
lcd.print(“trigger systems.”);
delay(5000);
lcd.clear();
lcd.setCursor(0, 0);
lcd.print(“Push to Open”);
}
void loop() {
//receive the input from the switch and either display “Opening…” or “Closing…” depending on the switch state.
lcd.clear();
switchState = digitalRead(switchPin);
if (switchState != prevSwitchState) {
if (switchState == HIGH) {
lcd.clear();
lcd.setCursor(0, 0);
lcd.print(“Opening…”);
}
else {
lcd.clear();
lcd.setCursor(0, 0);
lcd.print(“Closing…”)
}
}
}

error code is:
[7/31/2015, 12:33:50 PM] - Start Building
[7/31/2015, 12:33:50 PM] - CPP File Created [C:\Users\FRANCE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\build1438360430096\LCD_button.cpp]
[7/31/2015, 12:33:50 PM] - LCD_button.cpp compiled
[7/31/2015, 12:33:50 PM] - Command failed: C:\Users\FRANCE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\build1438360430096\LCD_button.cpp: In function ‘void loop()’: C:\Users\FRANCE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\build1438360430096\LCD_button.cpp:13:9: error: expected ‘}’ before ‘else’ else { ^

Several things: First, you need to read the two posts by Nick Gammon on the proper way to use this Forum, especially the use of code tags when posting source code. Second, reformat you code in the IDE before you post it using Ctrl-T. Third, you must have spent less than 10 seconds trying to discover what’s wrong with your code. First of all, statements end with a semicolon. As a starting point:

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>
LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 5, 4, 3, 2)   // <--------------- Really???
const int switchPin = 6;
// receiving an input from a switch\\

int switchState = 0                     // <--------------- Really???
int prevSwitchState = 0;
//upon startup display "Welcome to trigger systems." - hold for 5 seconds then clear to display "Push to open"
void setup() {
    lcd.begin(16,2);
    pinMode(switchPin,INPUT);
    lcd.print("Welcome to");
    lcd.setCursor(0, 1);
    lcd.print("trigger systems.");
delay(5000);
    lcd.clear();
    lcd.setCursor(0, 0);
     lcd.print("Push to Open");
}

You’re going to find out pretty quickly that the readers here won’t waste their time if you can’t demonstrate that you’ve tried to ferret out the simple stuff yourself first. Getting the code to compile is step one. Step two is a cogent, succinct, statement of what you’ve tried to do and what actually happens. Giving sample input data and output results is a big help. As to this post, you need to do more homework.

In addition to what @econjack has said, it looks to me that the second line of the comment at the top of loop() needs a // at the start of it. But that may just be because you did not post the code properly using the code button </>

You need to know that the compiler only flags an error when it gets to a position where it can’t continue. The error may have been a few lines (or many lines) earlier.

…R

I appreciate that. I added the comment tags only after I began receiving error codes for sake of convenience to the reader.

@econjack I appreciate you being forward but rather then reprimanding do you think you can guide me in a better direction.

Hint: Errors are arrowed. Hint: think ';'

I wasn't reprimanding you. I was telling you how to get the most from this Forum. I also showed you several really simple mistakes in your code, which suggested to me that you didn't try too hard to figure those out. I simply told you, as a new poster, what a lot of readers here are going to think when they see such things. If they think you didn't try hard enough, they will move on and let you sink on your own. Rather than view it as a reprimand, think of it as a lesson on getting more help than you would otherwise.

francescotrigger: @econjack I appreciate you being forward but rather then reprimanding do you think you can guide me in a better direction.

Reprimand? That was no reprimand. That was so much more tame than most replies to questions where the author has obviously not tried very hard to find answers on their own.

Guide you in a better direction? Pretty much all of econjack's reply was guiding you in a better direction. As were Robin2's and AWOL's. Have you taken any of their advice? Hint: the first sentence of econjack's reply