Error installing editor plugin

System: Slackware 14.1, desktop KDE4

$uname -a
Linux xxx 4.4.6 #2 SMP Wed Mar 16 14:17:03 CDT 2016 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

While installing the plugin with ArduinoCreateAgent-1.1-linux-x64-installer.run, it aborts with this message:

Error running /home/xxx/ArduinoCreateAgent-1.1/Arduino_Create_Bridge -generateCert=true: /home/xxx/ArduinoCreateAgent-1.1/Arduino_Create_Bridge: error while loading shared libraries: libappindicator3.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Doing some digging/searching, it seems that libappindicator is a very Canonical/Ubuntu/Gnome-specific thing.

Any hints on how to get this running?

It also work on KDE: libappindicator in Launchpad even if we do not officially support distros other than Ubuntu you can try it and install the library.

mastrolinux:
It also work on KDE: https://launchpad.net/libappindicator even if we do not officially support distros other than Ubuntu you can try it and install the library.

Okay, thank you. I'd come across that page in my search, but for whatever reason thought that the downloads were pre-compiled with who knows what dependencies on a non-Ubuntu system. But after downloading the tarball it seems it uses the './configure && make && su -c "make install" ' that's already familiar to most Slackware users.

A question on support: does it extend to Ubuntu derivatives, in particular Linux Mint, or is it Ubuntu only?

For what it's worth, I installed the plugin on a Linux Mint box with KDE with no problems or issues and it seems to work fine.

So cool!

Yes we try to keep it as simple and as consistent as possible. We are also trying to remove libappindicator and make it really portable for every x86, x86_64 and ARM system.

mastrolinux:
So cool!

Yes we try to keep it as simple and as consistent as possible. We are also trying to remove libappindicator and make it really portable for every x86, x86_64 and ARM system.

That would be awesome if it worked on a Raspberry Pi!

Is there a version available for 32-bit Linux systems, or is that future plans?

Hi BobKay,
libappindicator is unfortunately compulsory because the tray icon needs it. We are working on both a CLI version and a Linux32 version, too. In the meantime, Slackware packages should be ok, I believe http://alien.slackbook.org/slackware/ktown/source/testing/deps/libappindicator/ is enough but it depends on GTK.

Okay, thanks for that info. I'll take a whack at compiling it myself, if I run into issues I'll check out Alien Bob's package.

Is the plugin source itself available?