Error Message -- Please help! :)

HI! I'm loading the Meditation Trainer code that uses the Adafruit Pulse Sensor Amped and the Circuit Playground. I am running this on Arduino. https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/downloads/pdf/heart-rate-variability-sensor.pdf

avrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding

Everything compiles, however, I keep getting this message when I upload. It freezes and begins to repeat itself. Any help on what this could be?

Thanks in advance!

Check the tools menu and make sure you have the correct board and port selected. If that's correct, then let us know what type of Arduino you have and where you got it. Sometimes the bootloader is missing.

Hi Delta_G,

The board selected is “Adafruit Circuit Playground” (my board) and the Port is “/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port”. I am not sure what port I am supposed to use so I selected this one – probably not the best move.

Underneath that, it says, “Programmer AVRISP mkll” and “Burn Bootloader”

That is probably the wrong port. What OS are you on? As long as it ain't named after a fruit I can probably help you figure out which port you need.

Yikes :o

I'm on an Apple Macbook Pro OS x Yosemite 10.10.5

It's a 32u4 based board. Probably a Micro clone, only with a bunch of added crap on the board to make it more friendly to people who don't want to deal with raw hardware.

You have the wrong port selected. Select the correct port from tools -> port menu. If there isn't an option corresponding to your board (you'll know because it will go away if you unplug the board, and appear when you plug it in), the drivers are probably not installed correctly.

I am not familiar with the process of installing drivers on mac.

The only two options when I go to Port are /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port and /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem.

I went to tools but there isn't a port menu option. Even when I plug/unplug the board nothing changes.

thtcurlygirl:
The only two options when I go to Port are /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port and /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem.

I went to tools but there isn't a port menu option. Even when I plug/unplug the board nothing changes.

This post appears to contradict itself - not sure what you're talking about here:

"the only two options when I go to Port are"

"I went to tools but there isn't a port menu option"

If the first sentence is true, it sounds like drivers aren't installed correctly (or you're using a charging only USB cable - charging only USB cables are extremely common nowadays, and are often not marked as such)

I don't know how to interpret the second sentence though - how could you have seen the bluetooth options under the tools -> port menu, if there's no port menu under tools?! (also, it doesn't make any sense that there wouldn't be a tools -> port menu... Even with no ports, the option is there, just greyed out). Like, were you looking somewhere other than the tools menu of the IDE?

Nevermind! I actually got it to work by changing around the "Programmer" and resetting it. The new port magically appeared. Thank you all so much!!!