Error Message "SoftwareSerial does not name a type" (Arduino Uno+EasyVR shield)

I am using Arduino 1.0.5 & have currently updated the Library with the ones from " https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10963 ".

I have Re-extracted the code from my EasyVR commander 3.4.10 (UPDATED)

#if defined(ARDUINO) && ARDUINO >= 100
  #include "Arduino.h"
  #include "SoftwareSerial.h"
  SoftwareSerial port(12,13);
#else // Arduino 0022 - use modified NewSoftSerial
  #include "WProgram.h"
  #include "NewSoftSerial.h"
  NewSoftSerial port(12,13);
#endif

#include "EasyVR.h"
EasyVR easyvr(port);

//Groups and Commands
enum Groups
{
  GROUP_0  = 0,
  GROUP_1  = 1,
};

enum Group0 
{
  G0_ARDUINO = 0,
};

enum Group1 
{
  G1_RECORD = 0,
  G1_LED_ON = 1,
  G1_LED_OFF = 2,
};

EasyVRBridge bridge;

int8_t group, idx;

void setup()
{
  // bridge mode?
  if (bridge.check())
  {
    cli();
    bridge.loop(0, 1, 12, 13);
  }
  // run normally
  Serial.begin(9600);
  port.begin(9600);

if (!easyvr.detect())
  {
    Serial.println("EasyVR not detected!");
    for (;;);
  }

easyvr.setPinOutput(EasyVR::IO1, LOW);
  Serial.println("EasyVR detected!");
  easyvr.setTimeout(5);
  easyvr.setLanguage(0);

group = EasyVR::TRIGGER; //<-- start group (customize)
}

void action();

void loop()
{
  easyvr.setPinOutput(EasyVR::IO1, HIGH); // LED on (listening)

Serial.print("Say a command in Group ");
  Serial.println(group);
  easyvr.recognizeCommand(group);

do
  {
    // can do some processing while waiting for a spoken command
  }
  while (!easyvr.hasFinished());

easyvr.setPinOutput(EasyVR::IO1, LOW); // LED off

idx = easyvr.getWord();
  if (idx >= 0)
  {
    // built-in trigger (ROBOT)
    // group = GROUP_X; <-- jump to another group X
    return;
  }
  idx = easyvr.getCommand();
  if (idx >= 0)
  {
    // print debug message
    uint8_t train = 0;
    char name[32];
    Serial.print("Command: ");
    Serial.print(idx);
    if (easyvr.dumpCommand(group, idx, name, train))
    {
      Serial.print(" = ");
      Serial.println(name);
    }
    else
      Serial.println();
    easyvr.playSound(0, EasyVR::VOL_FULL);
    // perform some action
    action();
  }
  else // errors or timeout
  {
    if (easyvr.isTimeout())
      Serial.println("Timed out, try again...");
    int16_t err = easyvr.getError();
    if (err >= 0)
    {
      Serial.print("Error ");
      Serial.println(err, HEX);
    }
  }
}

void action()
{
    switch (group)
    {
    case GROUP_0:
      switch (idx)
      {
      case G0_ARDUINO:
        // write your action code here
        // group = GROUP_X; <-- or jump to another group X for composite commands
        break;
      }
      break;
    case GROUP_1:
      switch (idx)
      {
      case G1_RECORD:
        break;
      case G1_LED_ON:
        break;
      case G1_LED_OFF:
        break;
      }
      break;
    }
}

The error have became "SoftwareSerial does not name a type"

LEDTEST.pde:3:30: error: SoftwareSerial.h: No such file or directory
LEDTEST:4: error: 'SoftwareSerial' does not name a type
LEDTEST:12: error: 'port' was not declared in this scope
LEDTEST.pde: In function 'void setup()':
LEDTEST:48: error: 'port' was not declared in this scope

Thank you for your kind help.

You have included two SoftSerial libraries then used pins 12 and 13 twice. Correct that and make sure that the library that you decide to use is installed in the correct folder.

As it happens I believe that the libraries are actually the same but with different names, but I could be wrong.

Note that both the folder location and its name are important.

You have included two SoftSerial libraries then used pins 12 and 13 twice.

Look again. There are conditional statements that define what actually happens based on the version of the IDE being used.

OP:
I downloaded the EasyVR library, and copied and pasted your code. It compiles properly. I think you’ve done something to your install of the IDE. Try uninstalling and reinstalling.

Firstly, thank you very much for your kind help, I do however still face errors and I can’t find the source of the problem.

OP:
I downloaded the EasyVR library, and copied and pasted your code. It compiles properly. I think you’ve done something to your install of the IDE. Try uninstalling and reinstalling.

I reinstalled the Arduino 1.0.5 & downloaded the EasyVR library from Sparkfun. I have also tried adding NewSoftSerial into my library.

I imported the EasyVR library into the code,

#include <EasyVR.h>
#include <EasyVRBridge.h>

with this as the error

In file included from sketch_oct22a.ino:12:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\EasyVR/EasyVRBridge.h:17: error: redefinition of 'class EasyVRBridge'
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\EasyVR/EasyVRBridge.h:18: error: previous definition of 'class EasyVRBridge'

I have also tried adding NewSoftSerial into my library.

Why? The original problem was never about NewSoftSerial, which isn't even included in 1.0+ versions of the IDE.

I imported the EasyVR library into the code,

The Bridge include file is already included in the EasyVr header file. (Stupidly, at the bottom...) It does not also need to be included in the sketch, and is responsible for the problems you are now having.

The Bridge include file is already included in the EasyVr header file. (Stupidly, at the bottom...) It does not also need to be included in the sketch, and is responsible for the problems you are now having.

This is the amount of Errors that appear if I don't import EasyVR library (Bridge). It has only been a month that I picked up programming and Arduino, really unfamiliar with this so pardon me.

NewSoftSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `SoftwareSerial::listen()':
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:179: multiple definition of `SoftwareSerial::listen()'
SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o:C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:179: first defined here
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:179: multiple definition of `SoftwareSerial::active_object'
SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o:C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:179: first defined here
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:179: multiple definition of `SoftwareSerial::_receive_buffer_tail'
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:179: multiple definition of `SoftwareSerial::_receive_buffer_head'
NewSoftSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `SoftwareSerial::recv()':
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:198: multiple definition of `SoftwareSerial::recv()'
SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o:C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:198: first defined here
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:179: multiple definition of `SoftwareSerial::_receive_buffer'
NewSoftSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `SoftwareSerial::tx_pin_write(unsigned char)':
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:278: multiple definition of `SoftwareSerial::tx_pin_write(unsigned char)'
SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o:C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:278: first defined here
NewSoftSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `SoftwareSerial::rx_pin_read()':
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:286: multiple definition of `SoftwareSerial::rx_pin_read()'
SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o:C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:286: first defined here
NewSoftSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `__vector_3':
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:305: multiple definition of `__vector_3'
SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o:C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:305: first defined here
NewSoftSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `__vector_4':
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:312: multiple definition of `__vector_4'
SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o:C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:312: first defined here
NewSoftSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `__vector_5':
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:319: multiple definition of `__vector_5'
SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o:C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:319: first defined here
NewSoftSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `SoftwareSerial::begin(long)':
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:379: multiple definition of `SoftwareSerial::begin(long)'
SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o:C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:379: first defined here
NewSoftSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `SoftwareSerial::end()':
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:417: multiple definition of `SoftwareSerial::end()'
SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o:C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:417: first defined here
NewSoftSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `~SoftwareSerial':
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:350: multiple definition of `SoftwareSerial::~SoftwareSerial()'
SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o:C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:350: first defined here
NewSoftSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `~SoftwareSerial':
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:350: multiple definition of `SoftwareSerial::~SoftwareSerial()'
SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o:C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:350: first defined here
NewSoftSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `SoftwareSerial::read()':
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:425: multiple definition of `SoftwareSerial::read()'
SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o:C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:425: first defined here
NewSoftSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `SoftwareSerial::available()':
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:440: multiple definition of `SoftwareSerial::available()'
SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o:C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:440: first defined here
NewSoftSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `SoftwareSerial::write(unsigned char)':
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:446: multiple definition of `SoftwareSerial::write(unsigned char)'
SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o:C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:446: first defined here
NewSoftSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `SoftwareSerial::flush()':
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:498: multiple definition of `SoftwareSerial::flush()'
SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o:C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:498: first defined here
NewSoftSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `SoftwareSerial::peek()':
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:509: multiple definition of `SoftwareSerial::peek()'
SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o:C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:509: first defined here
NewSoftSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `SoftwareSerial::setRX(unsigned char)':
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:364: multiple definition of `SoftwareSerial::setRX(unsigned char)'
SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o:C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:364: first defined here
NewSoftSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `SoftwareSerial::setTX(unsigned char)':
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:355: multiple definition of `SoftwareSerial::setTX(unsigned char)'
SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o:C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:355: first defined here
NewSoftSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `SoftwareSerial':
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:335: multiple definition of `SoftwareSerial::SoftwareSerial(unsigned char, unsigned char, bool)'
SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o:C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:335: first defined here
NewSoftSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `SoftwareSerial':
C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:335: multiple definition of `SoftwareSerial::SoftwareSerial(unsigned char, unsigned char, bool)'
SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o:C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:335: first defined here

SOLVED
In the end it was the computer that had the problem, changed a unit and it managed to compile.
Thanks for the help rendered.

You "changed a unit" ?

The problem was always with where your included files were to be found. All the other things you did, were unnecessary.

C:\Users\emc5\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewSoftSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp

You've go one seriously hosed up library structure here. SoftwareSerial.cpp and SoftwareSerial.h do NOT belong on the NewSoftSerial library. What were you smoking?