Error Message When Loading bootloader

Hi All,

Firstly thank you all so very much for all the support you have contributed to the questions here, some really good reads. ;)

I decided to get adventurous an put together a ATtiny85 programming breadboard build to try see if I could get it right and indeed it worked using my UNO (burning bootloader) see an image of it here

This worked and I was given the "Done burning bootloader" :D

Pleased with this result I decided to take it a step further (for the first time) and put together a permanent setup using some parts and the build seemed simple enough.... see an image of it here and here

However when swapping to my self build board and trying to load the bootloader I get an error message (no settings changes in the IDE)

The error reads as follows: "avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature." The strange thing about this is that its the same chip with the exact same settings in the IDE and what is supposed to be the same shield (just now self built)

Thus my question is, have I built the board incorrectly and thus am getting this error message?

I don't understand what you mean by "loading the bootloader" Surely you're not uploading a bootloader to an attiny?

Assuming you're not actually using a bootloader, then all you need to do is upload a sketch to it. But then you need to use pins 1, 5,6 and 7 for the SPI interface, Yet these (well 6 and 7 at least) don't appear to be connected in your pictures.

Hi Ken,

The burning of the bootloader is just to set the timing for the 8mhz internal crystal and is a method I've used from some time.

The setup seems exactly the same, however on my board I get the error.

So don't you need pins 6 and 7 for programming? They don't appear to be connected to anything in your photo.

My understanding is that the connection runs down the "rail" (silver part) to the pins I have soldered on the side ?

bluedevil678:
My understanding is that the connection runs down the “rail” (silver part) to the pins I have soldered on the side ?

They may have been but it doesn’t look like it in your photo

AH!

OK Let me see if I can fix that and get back to you.