Error messages

Can someone please explain what these error messages mean? I have tried Google and looking through the help files on this forum and others with no luck.

Adrian

Arduino: 1.6.4 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Uno"

Using library LedControl in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LedControl1 

Using library FontLEDClock in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\FontLEDClock (legacy)

Using library Wire in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire 

Using library RTClib in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\RTClib (legacy)

Using library Button in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Button (legacy)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -Wall -Wextra -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -MMD -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10604 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LedControl1\src -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\FontLEDClock -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\RTClib -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Button C:\Users\vk4kl\AppData\Local\Temp\build6407585483149142535.tmp\mini_clock1_0.cpp -o C:\Users\vk4kl\AppData\Local\Temp\build6407585483149142535.tmp\mini_clock1_0.cpp.o 

In file included from mini_clock1_0.ino:13:0:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\FontLEDClock/FontLEDClock.h:4:35: error: variable 'myfont' must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of '__attribute__((progmem))'
 unsigned char PROGMEM myfont[80][5] = {
                                   ^
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\FontLEDClock/FontLEDClock.h:94:39: error: variable 'mybigfont' must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of '__attribute__((progmem))'
 unsigned char PROGMEM mybigfont[10][20] = {
                                       ^
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\FontLEDClock/FontLEDClock.h:108:38: error: variable 'mytinyfont' must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of '__attribute__((progmem))'
 unsigned int PROGMEM mytinyfont[42][3] = {
                                      ^
mini_clock1_0.ino: In function 'void plot(byte, byte, byte)':
mini_clock1_0.ino:125:12: warning: comparison is always true due to limited range of data type [-Wtype-limits]
mini_clock1_0.ino: In function 'void puttinychar(byte, byte, char)':
mini_clock1_0.ino:217:16: warning: suggest parentheses around '&&' within '||' [-Wparentheses]
In file included from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LedControl1\src/LedControl.h:30:0,
                 from mini_clock1_0.ino:12:
mini_clock1_0.ino:243:44: warning: array subscript has type 'char' [-Wchar-subscripts]
mini_clock1_0.ino: In function 'void putnormalchar(byte, byte, char)':
mini_clock1_0.ino:291:40: warning: array subscript has type 'char' [-Wchar-subscripts]
mini_clock1_0.ino:291:45: warning: array subscript has type 'char' [-Wchar-subscripts]
mini_clock1_0.ino: In function 'void small_mode()':
mini_clock1_0.ino:401:15: warning: statement has no effect [-Wunused-value]
mini_clock1_0.ino:414:12: warning: unused variable 'x' [-Wunused-variable]
mini_clock1_0.ino:415:12: warning: unused variable 'y' [-Wunused-variable]
mini_clock1_0.ino: In function 'void basic_mode()':
mini_clock1_0.ino:436:8: warning: unused variable 'x' [-Wunused-variable]
mini_clock1_0.ino:436:11: warning: unused variable 'y' [-Wunused-variable]
In file included from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LedControl1\src/LedControl.h:30:0,
                 from mini_clock1_0.ino:12:
mini_clock1_0.ino: In function 'void slideanim(byte, byte, byte, char, char)':
mini_clock1_0.ino:781:52: warning: array subscript has type 'char' [-Wchar-subscripts]
mini_clock1_0.ino:839:48: warning: array subscript has type 'char' [-Wchar-subscripts]
mini_clock1_0.ino: In function 'void switch_mode()':
mini_clock1_0.ino:1219:3: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' [-Wwrite-strings]
mini_clock1_0.ino:1219:3: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' [-Wwrite-strings]
mini_clock1_0.ino: In function 'void setup_menu()':
mini_clock1_0.ino:1302:45: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' [-Wwrite-strings]
mini_clock1_0.ino:1302:45: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' [-Wwrite-strings]
mini_clock1_0.ino:1304:18: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' [-Wwrite-strings]
Error compiling.

Hi,

Can you please post a copy of your sketch, using code tags?
They are made with the </> icon in the reply Menu.
See section 7 http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html

This way we can see what the errors are referring to.
Also do you have the libraries installed correctly?

Tom… :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi,

Can you please post a copy of your sketch, using code tags?
They are made with the </> icon in the reply Menu.
See section 7 http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html

This way we can see what the errors are referring to.
Also do you have the libraries installed correctly?

Tom… :slight_smile:

Cant include the code due to exceeding the max allowable length.
Yes I have the libraries installed correctly. It appears there is a fault with the FontLEDClock.h file will have to look at the file some more

Adrian

Cant include the code due to exceeding the max allowable length.

You can attach it as a file. There is an Attachments option below the reply window.

I have had another FontLEDClock.h file and I found a problem with syntax and solved that but now the sketch wont compile even though no error messages appear.

Adrian

but now the sketch wont compile

Am I the only one who can't see a sketch?

Here tis
Its not my sketch but I sent an email/reply to the authors site but no reply.

Adrian

mini_clock1_0.ino (43.3 KB)

I have just learnt a valuable lesson when compiling sketches with IDE. Get the right release.. I assumed (incorrectly obviously) that the latest release would be backward compatible. I have been trying to compile the clock sketch with release 1.6.5 when I should have been using 1.0.5. Next time I will read the instructions :(

Adrian