Error Occurred While Uploading Sketch 1.8.13

I have a Windows 7 desktop and have use the same Uno as a programmer for a while. I uploaded the example AVR ISP sketch to the Uno. Then I plugged in my AVR ISP Shield like this one:

Then I tried to upload “sketch using programmer” like I have done many times in the past. This is with 1.8.13 IDE. I used the same IDE about a month ago and it worked. Now I can’t upload anything to a target ATMega328P in the AVR ISP Shield.

The sketch verifies and compiles with no problem. When I send the sketch to the programmer the red “error” LED on the programmer comes on and stays. As I said, this is the same hardware and same procedure I have used before but now it does not work. I even reinstalled 1.8.13 but it made no difference. I was afraid the ATMega328P had a bad bootloader so I reloaded the bootloader on it and a second ATMega328P that I was trying to program but same results. I even tried a second and a third AVR ISP Shield (2 still new in wrapper) but no luck. The attached text file is the error log.

What am I doing wrong or why does it no longer work?
Thank you for your help.

Arduino_Error.txt (15.3 KB)

The relevant parts of @Southerner's Arduino_Error.txt:

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Uno"

Global variables use 469 bytes (22%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1579 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

An error occurred while uploading the sketch

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0

Please do this:

• (In the Arduino IDE) File > Preferences
  • Uncheck the checkbox next to “Show verbose output during: compilation”
  • Check the checkbox next to "Show verbose output during: upload
  • Click “OK”
  • Do the upload
  • After the upload fails, you’ll see a button on the right side of the orange bar “Copy error messages” (or the icon that looks like two pieces of paper at the top right corner of the black console window in the Arduino Web Editor). Click that button.
  • In a forum reply here, click on the reply field.
  • Click the </> button on the forum toolbar. This will add the forum’s code tags markup to your reply.
  • Press “Ctrl + V”. This will paste the upload output between the code tags.
  • Move the cursor outside of the code tags before you add any additional text to your reply.

It is interesting that is sayd it did not find a USB device and yet a month ago it had no issue with either the Uno or the AVR ISP Shield and it worked. Now it doesn't and yet the IDE version (latest 1.8.13) is the same but I did uninstall and reinstall.

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Uno"

Sketch uses 17428 bytes (54%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.

Global variables use 469 bytes (22%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1579 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.

C:\Arduino_1.8.12\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Arduino_1.8.12\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -cstk500v2 -Pusb -Uflash:w:C:\Users\LIVING~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_62954/Hilltopper-40_V2.0.ino.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619

Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Arduino_1.8.12\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : usb

Using Programmer              : stk500v2

avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb" (0x03eb:0x2104)

avrdude done.  Thank you.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Thank you.

I was going to try the online IDE and installed the plugins but I see no option to "Upload using programmer" option in the online version. I can't remove the target ATMega328P and plug it into the Uno because the target is a 28 pin dip and the Uno uses the 32 pin smt version.

Southerner:

avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb" (0x03eb:0x2104)

You need to select Tools > Programmer > Arduino as ISP

Southerner:
I see no option to "Upload using programmer" option in the online version.

That's correct. The Arduino Web Editor doesn't support "Upload Using Bootloader" or "Burn Bootloader".

pert:
You need to select Tools > Programmer > Arduino as ISP

I tried all 3 choices (AVRISP, Arduino ISP, and Arduino as ISP) and neither worked where Arduino as ISP was what worked last time I used it.

Please select Arduino as ISP and then follow my previous instructions again:

pert:
Please do this:

• (In the Arduino IDE) File > Preferences
  • Uncheck the checkbox next to “Show verbose output during: compilation”
  • Check the checkbox next to "Show verbose output during: upload
  • Click “OK”
  • Do the upload
  • After the upload fails, you’ll see a button on the right side of the orange bar “Copy error messages” (or the icon that looks like two pieces of paper at the top right corner of the black console window in the Arduino Web Editor). Click that button.
  • In a forum reply here, click on the reply field.
  • Click the </> button on the forum toolbar. This will add the forum’s code tags markup to your reply.
  • Press “Ctrl + V”. This will paste the upload output between the code tags.
  • Move the cursor outside of the code tags before you add any additional text to your reply.
Arduino: 1.8.13 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

Sketch uses 54150 bytes (21%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes.

Global variables use 2511 bytes (30%) of dynamic memory, leaving 5681 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes.

C:\Users\codyd\Downloads\arduino-1.8.13-windows\arduino-1.8.13\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\codyd\Downloads\arduino-1.8.13-windows\arduino-1.8.13\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega2560 -cwiring -PCOM3 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\codyd\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_142383/Marlin.ino.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619

Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\codyd\Downloads\arduino-1.8.13-windows\arduino-1.8.13\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM3

Using Programmer              : wiring

Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

avrdude done.  Thank you.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

I'm also having this same issue, using Arduino 1.8.13. I've followed all the steps I can find, and am still not getting the config.h file uploaded. Any suggestions are welcome.