Error stray '/'

Ok so i'm in the middle of programming m first LCD and I hit a snag there are several errors in my programming and I can't seem to find them. It says I have two stray ' / ' and that 'U201chello' is undefined please help script pasted below
// include the library code:
#include <LiquidCrystal.h>
// initialize the library with the numbers of the interface pins
LiquidCrystal lcd(8,9,10,11,12,13);
void setup() {
// set up the LCD’s number of columns and rows:
lcd.begin(16,2);
// Print a message to the LCD.
lcd.print(“hello world”);
}
void loop() {
// set the cursor to column 0, line 1
// (note: line 1 is the second row, since counting begins with 0):
lcd.setCursor(0, 1);
// print the number of seconds since reset:
lcd.print(millis()/1000);
}

That compiles fine for me. (UNO, Arduino IDE v1.6.5)
No errors, no warnings.

Post your actual error message, (between code tags of course). Sounds like library problems.

Edit: And in future, please post your code between code tags, too. </> in the post window.
(It's not too late to "Modify" and fix that. :slight_smile: )

there are several errors in my programming

Not really your programming either, I noticed.
It's just the "Hello World" example, copied and pasted with the pin numbers changed.

OldSteve:
Not really your programming either, I noticed.
It's just the "Hello World" example, copied and pasted with the pin numbers changed.

Everyone has to start somewhere.

PaulMurrayCbr:
Everyone has to start somewhere.

Very true, but no need to say it's his programming.
Like everyone else, he could have simply said there was a problem compiling the "Hello World" example, without taking ownership of it.

Wouldn't it be neat if people posting here read Nick Gammon's two posts at the top of this Forum before they wrote their post? I guess a heading like: "Read this before posting..." need to be replaced with a 2x4 between the eyes.

econjack:
Wouldn't it be neat if people posting here read Nick Gammon's two posts at the top of this Forum before they wrote their post? I guess a heading like: "Read this before posting..." need to be replaced with a 2x4 between the eyes.

We can dream. :smiley:

I wonder if there's a way to make it compulsory?
ie Read the "How to use this forum" posts and answer a simple questionaire before posting is enabled.
(Of course, it would never happen, but it sure would make things easier.)

@OldSteve: I think a lot of us would like to implement your suggestion. We've talked about this before and one approach is not to answer any posts that aren't "properly" posted. I tried that, but know that the offending OP, if no one answers him or her, ends up sniffing their arm pits thinking they're driving people away or we can't help them. Perhaps the best way is for the first reader of an obviously offending post to say something like:

We are unable to answer your post until you correct it for guideline inconsistencies as detailed in the two posts above by Nick Gammon.

Perhaps other readers would then stay away until a proper post is made.

econjack:
@OldSteve: I think a lot of us would like to implement your suggestion. We've talked about this before and one approach is not to answer any posts that aren't "properly" posted. I tried that, but know that the offending OP, if no one answers him or her, ends up sniffing their arm pits thinking they're driving people away or we can't help them. Perhaps the best way is for the first reader of an obviously offending post to say something like:

We are unable to answer your post until you correct it for guideline inconsistencies as detailed in the two posts above by Nick Gammon.

Perhaps other readers would then stay away until a proper post is made.

That's not a bad idea. I already have a ready-made answer that I can copy and paste from, although I don't use it much. I think I'll add your line to the start of it.

Then the whole reply will be:-

OldSteve:
I am unable to answer your post until you correct it for guideline inconsistencies as detailed in the two posts by Nick Gammon linked below.

You really should have read the How to use this forum - please read post at the top of the index page and How to use this forum before posting.

ie Your code and any error messages should always be placed between code tags. Posting it inline as you have done makes it much harder to read or copy and paste for diagnosis.

It's still not too late to edit your post and do this. You'll make potential helpers much happier. :slight_smile:

(I changed "We are" to "I am", because I can't speak for others, and know that they'll still answer regardless.)