error uploading or not recognizing board

I've seen similar description but no real answers. her's the error I'm getting trying to figure if the board is bad or something I'm doing?

I'm using the mega 2560 board and I'have tried this on 3 computers (dell running vista,lenovo run windows 8, and macbook air run os 10.9.5) none of them can find the board. I get this error and its seem an please correct me but it can't find avedude.com and this port doesn't exist /dev/cu.usbmodem1421

vrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Apr 14 2015 at 16:30:25
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/Users/IleseFlamm/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
User configuration file is "/Users/IleseFlamm/.avrduderc"
User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/cu.usbmodem1421
Using Programmer : wiring
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "/dev/cu.usbmodem1421": No such file or directory
ioctl("TIOCMGET"): Inappropriate ioctl for device
avrdude: ser_send(): write error: Bad file descriptor
Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

anyone know how to fix this or is it a board issue.

thanks for any help

I'm new to arduino and programing in general but each time I try to upload a project to my board(sainsmart nano 3.0) I get this message and the resp changes each time.( first it was 0x80 then 0x4a and now 0xf1)
can somebody help me?

Arduino: 1.6.5 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328"

Sketch uses 1,068 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30,720 bytes.

Global variables use 11 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,037 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM4 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Pierre-Luc\AppData\Local\Temp\build2677513553915408068.tmp/Blink.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Apr 15 2015 at 19:59:58

Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM4

Using Programmer : arduino

Overriding Baud Rate : 57600

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf1

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf1

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf1

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf1

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf1

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf1

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf1

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf1

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf1

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf1

avrdude done. Thank you.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.

Can you both try a loop-back test and post the results. The instructions for the test can be found at the top of this sub-forum.

I ran the loop and I think I did it right. The loop came back positive but,I don't think the board was connected because the computer didn't recognized the devise.

shaol:
I ran the loop and I think I did it right. The loop came back positive but,I don't think the board was connected because the computer didn't recognized the devise.

Which computer were you using? Also, when you say the loop came back positive, do you mean that what you typed was indeed mirrored in the serial monitor?

yes it mirrored and I was using my dell with vista and I also try to use on my lenovo with win8 but this computer was not connecting at all but similar issues. I also have an uno board that I have no issues with that I use on my Macbook air so I'm trying to figure more on Mac because of the uno works.

In the error its asking for this file avrdude.conf which is not on my computer. I'm trying to figure how to get it but thats out of my comfort zone.

Also this error shows up so im not sure what this mean

Thanks for helping.

As I do not have any experience with a mac I can only give advice that pertains to the windows pc. (shouldn't make much of a difference though)

If you are able to pass the loop-back test, that means that the computer detects and can communicate with the board. Can you observe the behavior of the "L" LED (LED on pin 13) while the board is just being powered up or reset and let me know what it does.

I'm fine with figuring this out on my Dell running vista.

The L blinks a orange color. If I press reset button and hold the light doesn't blink but as soon as I let go of reset button it blinks orange color. the power light is green and not blinking.

Also when I plug in the device using a USB cable (which works for the UNO board) the computer doesn't recognize it and the usb port says unknown device.

Okay. Can you tell me what usb-serial chip is used on your board? This will usually be the chip closest to the usb port.

Also, when you say the L led blnks, does it blink rapidly three times and then settles down into a steady on/off rate?

The blinking light is a steady blinking light a little faster then one sec intervals. and does not stop.

The main chip is the bigger one in the middle is a Atmel chip (atmega2560,16au,1509) and the tiny chip near the usb port on the board is also a Atmel chip (esa16u2 or e6416u2,452, 2kf7a) very hard to read.

Sorry I was away from the forums for a bit. I got your message, thanks for the link.

Does the led blink faster when it is just powered on and/or reset?

As soon as I plug the usb in it just blinks one speed and doesn't stop. Doesn't matter what I do it just blinks a steady blink.

Okay, that would indicate that your bootloader is missing or corrupted. You should be able to use another Arduino device with the ArduinoISP sketch to reload the bootloader. A guide to doing that can be found at the following link.

Mega as ISP

Let me know if you need any help setting it up when your second board arrives.

Ok thanks for your help.

I'll be gone for a week starting Thursday and will see if the new board is working when I get back and then see if I can handle the bootloading.

I was getting this message when ...ser_send(): write error: Bad file descriptor. At first I thought the problem was my clone board. However I noticed that when I went back to my old trusty Arduino 1.0.3 installation, it uploaded with no problems.

One other interesting thing I noticed was that I can see an additional driver choice.
In my older Arduinos these two drivers appear:
/dev/tty.usbmodem1,411 * this is the one that works successfully
/dev/cu.usbmodem1411

However, in the newer Arduino 1.6.5, I only see:
/dev/cu.usbmodem1411

So, definitely try an older version of Arduino if you are having upload problems.