Error uploading to Arduino DUE RESOLVED

Caution: Novice Arduino user

This is a new Arduino DUE and I believe a genuine Arduino product, purchased from DigiKey.
I do have an Ethernet shield purchased at the same time, from DigiKey, and reasonably sure it is an Arduino product. It was installed but removed when this problem was detected.

BTW: Does DUE stand for anything?

Plug in the Arduino DUE with USB cable in the port next to the round power connector. The one USB connector is the only thing connected to the board. The green LED turns on and the orange one blinks a bit slower that once per second, about 50% duty cycle. Compile this code:

void setup()
{
pinMode( 13, OUTPUT );
}

void loop() {
digitalWrite( 13, HIGH );
delay( 5500 );
digitalWrite( 13, LOW );
delay( 5000 );
}

No detectable errors. The green bar contains: Done compiling. The last line contains:

Sketch uses 22124 bytes (4%) of program storage space. Maximum is 524288 bytes.

Click the arrow to upload. It works for a few seconds and the last few lines are:

Sketch uses 22124 bytes (4%) of program storage space. Maximum is 524288 bytes.
Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on port COM1
C:\Users\bryan\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\arduino\tools\bossac\1.6.1-arduino/bossac.exe -i -d --port=COM1 -U false -e -w -v -b C:\Users\bryan\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_159420/sketch_dec22a.ino.bin -R
Send auto-baud
No device found on COM1
Set binary mode
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

The green LED stays on, the orange LED continues to flash as before.

Ok,…, what error occurred? What can I do to coerce this system to describe the error.

From the menu bar click Tools -> Port: “COM1” -> COM 1
Click Tools -> Get Board Info
The green bar displays:

Native serial port can’t obtain info

Click Tools -> Board: “Arduino Due (Programming Port)” to open a lengthy dialog. The selected item is:

Arduino Due (Programming Port)

Click Tools -> Serial Monitor. It has no text in the display.
Attempt the download again and still nothing displayed there.
Select that dialog for display and press a few keys, no response.
Is there something that can be entered in the Send field to solicit a response?
Click Tools -> Fix Encoding and Reload, no response
Dismiss the serial monitor and start the Serial Plotter and attempt the download. It shows nothing.

I am all out of options. What might I try next?

Edit: Plugged the arduio into another USB port that was used for a USB hard drive. The hard drive took power from the USB port and worked fine. The symptoms for the Arduino remained the same.

Try this:

Connect a USB cable to the Programming Port (The one close to the jack),

In Tools>Type of Board, select Arduino Programming Port,

Push the erase button for 3 seconds, then the Reset buttton for 3 seconds. Note that in a normal process, this step is not necessary.

Select Tools>Port and select a COMx(Programming Port).

If a COMx(Programming Port) doesn’t show up, disconnect and reconnect the USB cable until you can see a COMx(Programming Port). Be sure to use a correct USB cable, not a USB cable only dedicated to powering a device. And unfortunately, sometimes the USB cable is faulty.

In File>Examples>Basics select the Blink sketch, compile and upload.

Put numbers on your steps and here are the events:

1. Connect a USB cable to the Programming Port (The one close to the jack),
    a. Done, but your step 5 caused thought. And yes, one of my cable is a power only cable. I detected that because the port light on my USB hub would not light, set that aside and tried with one that does light. No difference, but lets follow the steps.

2.In Tools>Type of Board, select Arduino Programming Port,
a. Tools -> Type of board does not exist.
b. Tools -> Board: Arduino Due (Programming Port) does exist and was already set.

1. Push the erase button for 3 seconds, then the Reset buttton for 3 seconds. Note that in a normal process, this step is not necessary.
    a. Did that. Now the green On LED is lit and the orange “L” LED is lit solid.

2. Select Tools>Port and select a COMx(Programming Port).
    a. Start with Tools -> Port “COM1” and there are now two options
    b. COM 1
    c. COM5 Arduino Due (Programming Port)
    d. Selected that option

3. If a COMx(Programming Port) doesn't show up, disconnect and reconnect the USB cable until you can see a COMx(Programming Port). Be sure to use a correct USB cable, not a USB cable only dedicated to powering a device. And unfortunately, sometimes the USB cable is faulty.

a. as already noted, one problem fixed.

1. In File>Examples>Basics select the Blink sketch, compile and upload.

a. Try the one I currently have, from the OP.
b. Now I have a whole bunch more data scrolling up the screen. Looks like an upload in progress.
c. And the light is changing states every 5 seconds.
d. Changed the timer to delay( 250 ), uploaded, and it is blinking at the new rate.

Good Deal. Wonderful!
You got me going.
Thank you.