Error verifing data on attiny 2313 and atmega 8 :(

hello all,

i have been working on a project with Bluetooth. it is a simple project which uses pin 10 and 11 as Rx & TX .... the project simply switches some led on and off via android phone. i am using "Arduino Mega Adk" as my programmer.

what i want to do is create hex file of the program written then use it with external programmer....

i want to use either atmega8 or attiny2313 micro controller. (BTW i am using windows 7)

i am very new to programming and micro controllers.....
any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Problem is when ever i try to write atmega 8 it gives me following error.

C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:81: warning: only initialized variables can be placed into program memory area
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp: In member function 'void SoftwareSerial::begin(long int)':
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:399: error: 'PCICR' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:402: error: 'PCMSK2' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:402: error: 'PCMSK0' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:402: error: 'PCMSK1' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp: In member function 'void SoftwareSerial::end()':
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:417: error: 'PCMSK2' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:417: error: 'PCMSK0' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:417: error: 'PCMSK1' was not declared in this scope

and whenever i try to verify attiny2313 @8Mhz it gives me the following error.

C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:81: warning: only initialized variables can be placed into program memory area
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp: In member function 'void SoftwareSerial::begin(long int)':
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:399: error: 'digitalPinToPCICR' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:401: error: 'digitalPinToPCICRbit' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:402: error: 'digitalPinToPCMSK' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:402: error: 'digitalPinToPCMSKbit' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp: In member function 'void SoftwareSerial::end()':
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:417: error: 'digitalPinToPCMSK' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:418: error: 'digitalPinToPCMSKbit' was not declared in this scope

and whenever i try to verify attiny2313 @1Mhz it gives me the following error.

C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:128:2: error: #error This version of SoftwareSerial supports only 20, 16 and 8MHz processors
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:383: error: 'table' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:399: error: 'digitalPinToPCICR' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:401: error: 'digitalPinToPCICRbit' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:402: error: 'digitalPinToPCMSK' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:402: error: 'digitalPinToPCMSKbit' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:417: error: 'digitalPinToPCMSK' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:418: error: 'digitalPinToPCMSKbit' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp: In member function 'virtual size_t SoftwareSerial::write(uint8_t)':
C:\arduino\arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:458: error: 'XMIT_START_ADJUSTMENT' was not declared in this scope

please help me out.... it has been 5 days searching for this issue but cant get to any conclusion.

(deleted)

(the new) SoftwareSerial uses "Pin Change Interrupts" to achieve a sort of "background operation" of software serial.
ATmega8 is old and doesn't have pin-change interrupts. ATtiny2313 looks like it has them, but isn't accounted for in the source code.

The easiest solution may be to go back and find the OLD version of SoftwareSerial (Arduino 0019 looks old enough) that doesn't use this feature. This means that it won't "see" serial data unless it's actually sitting in the read() method, but that may work OK.

thanks for replies guys,

westfw , if i install a prior version (arduino 0019) i can use the same core files and configuration, that i am using now to run this program without errors?

I don't know. I'm suggesting getting the old version of SoftwareSerial ONLY.

lol of thanks again :slight_smile: