error when initializing software serial using two ports to two arduino pro mini.

Hello there, I am trying to have one Arduino ProMini to communicate with two other similar units, in serial connection. I am using Software Serial (as I need to have multiple serial connections to other similar units) and just used (with modification) the "Software Serial Example" sketch. But received the folloing error:

Sketch uses 3,936 bytes (12%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30,720 bytes. Global variables use 386 bytes (18%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1,662 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes. avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x24 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x24 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x24 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x24 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x24 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x24 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions. avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x24 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x24 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x24 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x24

I have wired 2 and 3 to one unit's 3 and 2, and 4 and 5 to another unit's 5 and 4. They are using the same power bus. Power is coming from a DueMilanove (the ATMEL chip removed) which in turn is connected to laptop via a USB. The ProMini units are 5V 16MHz each. I am connecting the 5V and GND of the DueMilanove to each unit.

I would appreciate any help. Karim.

and just used (with modification) the "Software Serial Example" sketch.

That means that it is no longer the example, and I refuse to guess what modifications you made.

Post a schematic, too.

How is the ProMini connected to the PC ?

The error messages you are showing are not about a program error - they are about the IDE not being able to communicate with your Arduino.

Did you study the advice you were given

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

Are the Arduinos connected to each other while you are trying to upload the code ? If so, disconnect everything and try again.

Have you the correct serial port selected?

Have you the correct Arduino board selected?

...R

Thank you, here is the schematic (attached below).
I did disconnect everything at first and uploaded a sketch (Arduino ISP) to each one; successfully. Should I do that again? The serial port (COM4) is correct, and the Boards are all Arduino Pro Minis (correctly selected).
The modifications I made were just to set the mode of the pins to INPUT and OUTPUT; the rest is pretty much the original example itself.
Please advise.
Thank you.

And your trying to upload via the USB to a chip that's not there!

Mark

From the schematic I can't see how the code is supposed to be uploaded to any of the ProMinis

When you have ANYTHING connected to pins 0 and 1, when uploading a sketch, you WILL have problems. Don't do that.

I removed the chip to be able to communicate directly to the ProMini. It worked and I could upload a sketch (Arduino ISP). About the 0 and 1 pins, those are the ones I used to upload the above sketch and it was successful. I was planning to use the chip-less DueMilanove to program each and every one of the ProMini units and then have one of them communicate to the rest, serially. My question is, knowing the error above, what would be an effective way of examining the software serial connection between the three ProMini units? Karim.