Error when uploading a sketch on Win 10. I need help ASAP.

Hi,

I have a problem when I try to upload a sketch to my Genuino Uno. I just got it today and so I'm not very familiar with it. I've tried to fix this and I've been looking for an answer but haven't found a working one yet. I have Windows 10 64-bit. This is the error message I get:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x91

I hope someone will be able to help me :confused:

Are you sure you're using the correct COM port?

Yeah, my computer says it detected it on COM3 and so I put it on COM3 in the Arduino IDE

I've tried to get this fixed on two computers. I've tried both the 1.6.10 and the 1.6.9 IDE's. Nothing works?! Can someone help me, please?

Stick to 1.6.9 for now, 1.6.10 is bad (I've heard there's going to be a bugfix release).

Do you have anything connected to the boards (specifically pins 0 and 1 - those pins must not be connected to anything while uploading)?

Is it actually a real Genuino Uno, not a clone? Sometimes the clones ship with the wrong bootloader - if it's a clone, try telling the IDE that it's a Pro Mini, or a Nano (try both - all three use the same chip, and the clone manufacturers occasionally get them mixed up).

This seems to be a semi-common issue that people post here - brand new Genuino Uno, in the hands of someone with no experience or equipment on hand, that gets sync errors out of the box, and I don't really know what to recommend to people with that issue...

There's nothing connected to the board other than the USB to power it up.

I bought the Genuino Uno from the Adruino's store so I think it's not a clone...

In the meantime I've been trying to find the solution and I got this error:

"avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM3": access is denied"

Then I went to my antivirus program and made a few changes and after that I got this one:

"avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM3": the system cannot find the file specified"

I tried to re-install the IDE and now i'm back at error I got in the first place:

"avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1a"

There's nothing connected to the board other than the USB to power it up.

I bought the Genuino Uno from the Adruino's store so I think it's not a clone...

When you simply connect the board to USB, is the L led blinking on and off?

When you press the reset button does the L led blink rapidly several times?

The L led is blinking when the board has power but when I restart the led stays lit for a moment and then starts blinking again.

When you press the reset button does the L led blink rapidly several times?

No it doesn't. It stays on for a second or two and then starts to go on and off normally

You say that the L led is happily blinking with a one second period, so it sounds like the default blink sketch is loaded. When you press and release the reset button, the L led should flash rapidly three times and then resume its one second blink.

The fact that its not blinking with reset would indicate a problem with the bootloader, but it is an official board and its unlikely that it was an unprogrammed chip.

I have seen references to pressing on the Atmega 328 chip to reseat it which fixed this problem.

Here is a recent thread about a new Genuino with a bootloader problem.

Contact the vendor.