Error while burning bootloader to ATmega328p

Hi,

I have recently been trying to upload a bootloader to an ATmega328p and have been experiencing issues.
I am using Arduino 1.0.6 and have uploaded the ISP sketch to an arduino uno. I have made the appropriate connections and have checked them numerous times and receive the error:

Arduino: 1.0.6 (Windows 7), Board: "ATmega328p (w/ Arduino as ISP)"
avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.
Why does this happen? I have seen this question asked everywhere but nobody seems to have the answer.

Can some expert please figure this out?

FYI: I have heard that newer changes to the ISP sketch may have caused some issues with burning the bootloader.

See: Atmega bootloader programmer

Why does this happen? I have seen this question asked everywhere but nobody seems to have the answer.

Can some expert please figure this out?

There is no single definitive answer to this problem - I have had multiple clients come to me with the same issue. Double check EVERYTHING - are the wires in the correct place? do you have a pull up resistor on RESET, do you have an oscillator or crystal(with capacitors) connected to the correct pins, have you got capacitors on the power rails, is it actually an ATmega328p (and not a PU or other MCU), are you using a breadboard, if so, move the chip from one end to the other. It could be that the chip is just faulty - though in 4 years, I've never had a faulty new chip. I don't buy chips on ebay (too many fakes), always from one of the large retailers.

Most of the time, its down to buying PU chips instead of P chips, and others it's loose wires.

Just my 2ยข

The ability to bootload a naked Atmega328 is an option supported by an Arduino utility sketch running on your PC with your USB cable with the Uno powered by your power supply or your computer all hooked up by you. There are a bunch of you(r) in those sentences: so I can guarantee that you are the problem or as we say in the computer biz, "operator error."

Now, that is not a bad thing. Every time I code something incorrectly, it is my problem. But, I have been doing this kind of thing for 40 years and I know I am imperfect and I make errors. When a newbie learns what I have marked in bold, they are beginning their journey away from newbieism and toward professionalism.

Consider that many thousands of UNOs run ArduinoISP successfully. So what else can the problem be?
(A) Could be Anything and Everything else.

Ray