ERROR!!!

yes other code doesent have those colons but i get this error: expected ';' before 'lcd'

OK, we seem to be locked in a loop here. Edit your code so that A) you call functions, using () parentheses after the function name. B) you put semicolons at the END of lines. Then post your code. Until then, do not post.

I think that code is going to flicker on the LCD.

Once you do what AWOL suggests and get the code working you'll see what I mean.

fixed it (for reference) sorry it is tottaly different than what you did:

// include the library code:
#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

// initialize the library with the numbers of the interface pins
LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 5, 4, 3, 2);

void setup() {
  // set up the LCD's number of columns and rows: 
  lcd.begin(16, 2);
  // Print a message to the LCD.
  lcd.print("arduino pingpong");
}

void loop() {
  // set the cursor to column 0, line 1
  // (note: line 1 is the second row, since counting begins with 0):
  ;lcd.setCursor(0, 0);
  ;lcd.clear
  ();lcd.print("[       o      ]")
  ;delay(500)
  ;lcd.clear()
  ;lcd.print("PING        PONG");
  ;delay(500)
  ;lcd.clear()
  ;lcd.print("[      o       ]");
  ;lcd.setCursor(0, 1);
  ;lcd.print("       GO!      ");
  ;lcd.setCursor(0, 0)
  ;lcd.print("[     o        ]");
  ;delay(10)
  ;lcd.clear()
  ;lcd.print("[    o         ]");
  ;delay(10)
  ;lcd.clear()
  ;lcd.print("[   o          ]");
  ;delay(10)
  ;lcd.clear()
  //change dirction
  ;lcd.print("[ o            ]");
  ;delay(10)
  ;lcd.clear()
  ;lcd.print("[   o          ]");
  ;delay(10)
  ;lcd.clear()
  ;lcd.print("[      o       ]");
  ;delay(10)
  ;lcd.clear()
  ;lcd.print("[         o    ]");
  ;delay(10)
  ;lcd.clear()
  ;lcd.print("[            o ]");
  ;delay(10)
  ;lcd.clear()
  ;lcd.print("[             o]");
  ;delay(10)
  ;lcd.clear()

;}

What part of "put semicolons at the end of your lines" did you not understand?

I'm really bored right now with smart-ass trolls, and I have a very itchy "ban" finger.

You’re assuming the posters native language is english but due to sentence construction and spelling issues I’m not so sure!

Perhaps his native language is written right-to-left and the end of line is on the left side?

Hah, I don’t really believe that although it is a possibility.

lloyddean: You're assuming the posters native language is english but due to sentence construction and spelling issues I'm not so sure!

Perhaps his native language is written right-to-left and the end of line is on the left side?

Hah, I don't really believe that although it is a possibility.

I don't think so, look at his setup() it's fine. All he needs to do is copy the way it is done there. I don't see what is so hard about that. He has plenty of examples, he just needs to follow them.

At this point I don't really expect him back as what he has will compile and run.

I think I know the problem. I still have Arduino 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 and even when the code is fixed properly, it doesn't work due to:

In file included from sketch_jan16a.cpp:2: D:\arduino-1.0.1\libraries\LiquidCrystal/LiquidCrystal.h:82: error: conflicting return type specified for 'virtual void LiquidCrystal::write(uint8_t)' D:\arduino-1.0.1\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Print.h:48: error: overriding 'virtual size_t Print::write(uint8_t)'

Only in 1.0.3 does it compile correctly and run. Maybe that is it.

@i_luv_arduino: What software version do you have, 1.0.1, 1.0.2 or 1.0.3. Because it works with 1.0.3 and not with the other two.

You're assuming the posters native language is english

You're right, I am. The IP address resolves to a nation with two official languages, only one of which is English. I also speak the other official language, but it doesn't have sentence structure or punctuation like that either.