ERROR

I keep getting this message "Arduino: 1.7.8 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Arduino Uno"

Sketch uses 1,114 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.

Global variables use 11 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,037 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM1": The system cannot find the file specified.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences."

and i do not know what to do, can i get some help.

In the IDE, in the tools menu, click on serial ports. What ports show up? Which port is the Arduinoo connected to?

i have looked everywhere on my computer and i can not find it if you don't mind can you help

bradenkp:
i have looked everywhere on my computer and i can not find it if you don't mind can you help

• Disconnect the Arduino from your PC, open from the menu "Tools - Port"
  • Watch out which Serial ports are in the list, then close the menu
  • Then connect the Arduino to your PC and wait a couple of seconds
  • Again open from the menu "Tools - Port" and watch out for a new port in the Serial ports list
  • that's the port your Arduino board is connected to and which must be selected.

Got it?

jurs:

• Disconnect the Arduino from your PC, open from the menu "Tools - Port"
  • Watch out which Serial ports are in the list, then close the menu
  • Then connect the Arduino to your PC and wait a couple of seconds
  • Again open from the menu "Tools - Port" and watch out for a new port in the Serial ports list
  • that's the port your Arduino board is connected to and which must be selected.

Got it?

i got it i just cant find where that is

In the Arduino program (the IDE) click on Tools in the menu then Port. What do you see ?

when i go into the port folder i see port.c, port.d, and quick_start folder.
but i dont know what to do i can seam to get it to work

bradenkp:
I see port.c and port.h and a folder quick_start

If you have downloaded your IDE software from Arduino.org and not from Arduino.cc, and are unable to use it, you probably better ask people at the Arduino.org forum. It can be found at:
Arduino - Home
People at Arduino.org might be able to tell you more about the Arduino.org IDE than people here can.

People in the Arduino.cc forum (this forum!) most likely use the Arduino.cc IDE and can tell you something about that.

So either go to Arduino.org and ask them about their software.

Or download your Arduino-IDE here:

Perhaps also don't download the latest release 1.6.6 or 1.6.7 (they are a bit buggy), but download one of the earlier versions like possibly 1.6.5-r5.

when i go into the port folder i see port.c, port.d, and quick_start folder.
but i dont know what to do i can seam to get it to work

We are NOT talking about folders where you have to go and select a port.h or port.c file, but we are talking about the MAIN MENU in the ARDUINO IDE, where you have to click the menu items.