Errors when attempting to use Board Manager

I get the following errors when attempting to load a different board type in Board manager. First I get "Error downloading http://downloads.arduino.cc/packages/package_index.jason." I also get the following in the results area:

Error downloading http://downloads.arduino.cc/packages/package_index.json
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.Exception: Error downloading http://downloads.arduino.cc/packages/package_index.json
at cc.arduino.contributions.packages.ui.ContributionManagerUI.lambda$onUpdatePressed$1(ContributionManagerUI.java:150)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.lang.Exception: Error downloading http://downloads.arduino.cc/packages/package_index.json
at cc.arduino.contributions.DownloadableContributionsDownloader.download(DownloadableContributionsDownloader.java:139)
at cc.arduino.contributions.packages.ContributionInstaller.download(ContributionInstaller.java:333)
at cc.arduino.contributions.packages.ContributionInstaller.downloadIndexAndSignature(ContributionInstaller.java:307)
at cc.arduino.contributions.packages.ContributionInstaller.updateIndex(ContributionInstaller.java:285)
at cc.arduino.contributions.packages.ui.ContributionManagerUI.lambda$onUpdatePressed$1(ContributionManagerUI.java:146)
… 1 more
Caused by: java.nio.file.FileSystemException: C:\Users\PFD Home\AppData\Local\Arduino15\package_index.json.tmp: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(WindowsException.java:86)
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:97)
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:102)
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.implDelete(WindowsFileSystemProvider.java:269)
at sun.nio.fs.AbstractFileSystemProvider.delete(AbstractFileSystemProvider.java:103)
at java.nio.file.Files.delete(Files.java:1126)
at cc.arduino.utils.network.FileDownloader.downloadFile(FileDownloader.java:156)
at cc.arduino.utils.network.FileDownloader.download(FileDownloader.java:132)
at cc.arduino.contributions.DownloadableContributionsDownloader.download(DownloadableContributionsDownloader.java:137)
… 5 more
Could not find boards.txt in C:\Users\PFD Home\Documents\Arduino\hardware\heltec\InstallGuide. Is it pre-1.5?
Could not find boards.txt in C:\Users\PFD Home\Documents\Arduino\hardware\heltec\PinoutDiagram. Is it pre-1.5?
Could not find boards.txt in C:\Users\PFD Home\Documents\Arduino\hardware\heltec\SchematicDiagram. Is it pre-1.5?

This sort of error could be caused by your antivirus software. Try TEMPORARILY disabling your antivirus for a single installation attempt, to see if the problem goes away, then turn the antivirus back on. If the problem doesn't occur with the antivirus off you will need to adjust the settings of your antivirus to whitelist the appropriate file, folder, or process so it doesn't interfere with compilation.

This just started happening. I was able to load a sketch yesterday to an Arduino Uno. Today I loaded a board profile for an ESP8622 and was able to upload a sketch to it. Then I was wanting to load a profile for an Arduino nano and that is when I received these errors.

Firewall was on yesterday and today, just tried with firewall off and got same error.

Thanks for your fast reply! Tommy

I didn’t say to turn the firewall off. I said to turn the antivirus off.

The firewall can cause problems when installing via Boards Manager, but I don’t think it could cause this specific error.

Same error with firewall and antivirus both off.

Lets look at this another way, I just tried uninstalling the IDE and deleted all directories pointing to Arduino and reloaded Arduino IDE from this web site. When I run the IDE it shows library's I loaded yesterday. How do I completely delete any and all parts of the IDE code it's sub directories and all and just start with a clean slate as I was yesterday?

Firewall and antivirus back on.

Thanks

Tommy

Libraries are installed to the sketchbook folder. You can find the location in the Arduino IDE at File > Preferences > Sketchbook location. But deleting the sketchbook folder won't help with this problem.

What might well fix the problem is to remove some files from C:\Users\PFD Home\AppData\Local\Arduino15. I would suggest deleting only the files in that folder other than preferences.txt. You don't need to delete the subfolders, and if you do you'll need to reinstall the ESP8266 hardware package.

I believe I’m gaining on this. I’m not getting as many errors as I used too. This is what I get now:

C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino\sketchbook\libraries\IRremote\IRremote.cpp:28:27: fatal error: avr/interrupt.h: No such file or directory

#include <avr/interrupt.h>

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP-12E Module).

However I’m confused, as there is a file C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino\sketchbook\libraries\IRremote\IRremote.cpp:28:27

and there is a file in same directory named interrupt.h

Tommy

That library does not support ESP8266, try IRremoteESP8266 instead. It is available in the library manager.

Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You to ALL who contributed!

I needed this project done by today and you saved me. I have a customer with 5 harmony remotes controlling a Russound cav 6.6 and a Nightowl DVR system and 3 remotes will work and the other 2 won't. I needed to verify that all 5 were sending the same codes as they were all programmed the same, but the customer was determined that I had programmed them wrong.

End of story all 5 remotes transmitting same codes, Russound not programmed correctly. Not my monkey or my circus!

I'm glad to hear you resolved the problems. Have a good one!
Per

I have the same issue. Arduino Ide is closing while it is opening so I have Deleted Arduino15 directory. Then I could run Ide new. Then I try to add preferecnces "http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json" link for Esp8266 12e Nodemcu. then open Board manager and try to find Esp8266 but warn me "java.lang.NullPointerException". Then I closed Ide and try to reopen so It didnt open again. whan I delete Arduino15 It is opening again. I delete old java and renew them, I was working by Id 1.8.8 and I unload it then I download 1.8.12 now. But what I did, the problem is going on still.

i Have the e same problem as A_quariu_S i really need some help

Same problem, ready to reinstall ubuntu at this point. Had the:

"Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module""

error, so following various leads online, ran:

rm ~.arduino15/library_index.json

No change, so I deleted the entire .arduino15 directory per another tip. That created this error:

"Set log4j store directory /.arduino15 java.lang.NullPointerException"

So I deleted the arduino directories (bye bye boards and libraries, will be fun hunting for those again) tried to reinstall from downloaded tar file. Gave me error because of permissions and symlink existing. I removed the link, reinstalled, started, will now give this error upon opening it up, and boards manager will act like it's installing but I just get this error over and over again:

java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NullPointerException
at cc.arduino.contributions.packages.ui.ContributionManagerUI.lambda$onUpdatePressed$1(ContributionManagerUI.java:150)

K, so this is the source of the issue on my end. i bought 2 Adafruit Feather ESP32 boards today. One soldered headers on. I had plugged it in to the linux box while IDE was running and then the error happened. I know it's that because I went to my windows 10 machine, running IDE. Plugged it in, same thing. Before plugging it in, since it's Windows, I installed the drivers via Espressif's github, per instructions, same I had to do with the ESP8266's. Windows IDE won't

I said, perhaps it's this board in particular. So went to my ubuntu laptop... plugged in the one without headers, while IDEwas running, and lo and behold the error appeared. The IDE will crash after displaying ... "initializing packages"... on windows and linux.

Here's the full error:

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NullPointerException
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at cc.arduino.contributions.packages.ContributionsIndexer.parseIndex(ContributionsIndexer.java:134)
at processing.app.BaseNoGui.initPackages(BaseNoGui.java:483)
at processing.app.Base$9.onIndexesUpdated(Base.java:1400)
at cc.arduino.contributions.packages.ui.ContributionManagerUI.lambda$onUpdatePressed$1(ContributionManagerUI.java:148)
... 1 more
at cc.arduino.contributions.packages.ContributionsIndexer.parseIndex(ContributionsIndexer.java:134)
at processing.app.BaseNoGui.initPackages(BaseNoGui.java:483)
at processing.app.Base.openBoardsManager(Base.java:1418)
at processing.app.Base$10.actionPerformed(Base.java:1441)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2022)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2348)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:402)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:376)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(BasicMenuItemUI.java:842)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(BasicMenuItemUI.java:886)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6539)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3324)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6304)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2239)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4889)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2297)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4711)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4904)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4535)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4476)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2283)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2746)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4711)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:760)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:84)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:733)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:731)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:730)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

On both Windows and laptop, I haven't done anything with them yet. No machines, going to play a game or something instead.

Had the same issue yesterday. Boards manager works perfectly fine in the 1.9 Beta IDE.