Errors when trying to program Sparkfun EL Sequencer

This is my first Arduino project and am having issues getting the code programmed onto the board.

I have been following this Sparkfun tutorial so am confident there are no issues with the code and have rechecked the build and can't find anything wrong with it.

The board runs the default code fine - it flashes the EL Wire no problem at all. However I am trying to get them to flash in sync with audio with the Sound Detector.

The error message is as follows (repeated 10 times):

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x41
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x41

When I plug the USB into the board the red power LED flashes twice, and when I attempt to upload to the board the red led comes on again until the error message appears. I have the power switch on USB (when I flick it to battery the red led stays on, as does the green 'STAT' LED).

Photos of the set up here: |500x281 |500x281

I am running Windows 10 and using Arduino 1.6.7 to upload to the board. I have followed the instructions and have the board (Lilypad Arduino), Processor (atmega328), and Port (COM4) set.

My Device Manager looks like this:

I've seen in some posts that the board should come up as Arduino instead of generic USB - would this be the issue? I have checked that the drivers are up to date and they are.

Thinking the issue might be the laptop, I have also tried to program the board from a Mac but had the same error message.

I'm running out of possible solutions that I can find, but before I de-solder the FTDI pins in the chance I have messed that up somehow I thought I should check here first.

Thanks in advance.

When I plug the USB into the board the red power LED flashes twice,

Are you referring to the USB cable? What red power LED?

There should be nothing attached to the Arduino when uploading code (at least nothing connected to the hardware serial pins).

Sorry yes. The USB cable to connect the laptop to the FTDI basic which is in turn connected to the EL Sequencer.

Which would be the hardware serial pins?