ESC for Large Brushless Motor, 20lb Load, Rectified Mains

My project is to make a pottery wheel out of a washing machine. The power supply will be rectified mains. I’ll be using the motor from the washing machine, which has 36 poles, and a hall sensor built into it. The wiring of the poles is illustrated in the attachments. I need variable speed, and I won’t need to spin it any faster than 240rpm. I’ve heard that in high-torque, low-speed applications it’s best to utilize the hall sensor.

I don’t know the kv of the motor. As I understand it I need to figure this out before I can install the speed controller. And to figure out the kv I need to spin the motor. But you need an ESC to generate the pulses to spin a brushless motor. Is this a catch 22? What did I miss?

I’d like to build this speed controller with Arduino. Where should I start?

Orgeston:
My project is to make a pottery wheel out of a washing machine. The power supply will be rectified mains. I'll be using the motor from the washing machine, which has 36 poles, and a hall sensor built into it. The wiring of the poles is illustrated in the attachments. I need variable speed, and I won't need to spin it any faster than 240rpm. I've heard that in high-torque, low-speed applications it's best to utilize the hall sensor.

I don't know the kv of the motor. As I understand it I need to figure this out before I can install the speed controller. And to figure out the kv I need to spin the motor. But you need an ESC to generate the pulses to spin a brushless motor. Is this a catch 22? What did I miss?

I'd like to build this speed controller with Arduino. Where should I start?

I think you need to start with a schematic of the original washing machine circuit to see how the thing was wired, and then duplicate that.

Paul

You don't need to know the KV of the motor before choosing a speed controller. You need to know other things like voltage and current draw of the motor. The motor's will spin at a constant no load speed given a constant voltage, this is its KV.

Does the motor have just one one hall sensor built in or three? It might prove tricky/dangerous to find/build an esc for 110-240v dc. If you only needed slow speed control, you can probably run the motor at a fraction of the rated voltage.