Esp-01 semi-working access point

Whatever sketch is loaded is entirely irrelevant :grin:

Actually, you only need to see a flash chip. No point manufacturing a board with an 8285 plus a flash chip.

Not completely. The advice is an empty sketch, but basically any sketch that does not use 'Serial' or pins 0 & 1. So blink would work. Personally i load this

const byte ledpin=13;
uint16_t ms=100;
bool increase=true;

void setup() {
  // initialize digital pin 13 as an output.
  pinMode(ledpin, OUTPUT);
}

// the loop function runs over and over again forever
void loop() {
  digitalWrite(ledpin, HIGH);   
  delay(ms);            
  digitalWrite(ledpin, LOW);    
  delay(ms); 
  if (ms>250) increase=false;
  if (ms<20) increase=true;
  if (increase) ms=(ms*10)/9;
  else ms=(ms*9)/10;           
}

which blinks the onboard led in a pattern that can hardly be confused for anything other than doing just that. An empty sketch is not always visible form the outside.

An ESP8285 is actually an ESP8266 with a particular type of flash chip. When i say read what is on, i mean on the outside of the flash chip. Trial and error may work just as well though.

I don't know how it would solve this problem. In fact mDNS has no real relation to connecting to an Access point at all. True Android does not support mDNS lookup, but you can create an alias for any page you are trying to serve from an access point. (and Android does not need to support that, the ESP does the lookup) In fact you can even make it so that any location resolves to the root (or the 192.168.4.1 page) by letting the lookup be empty. This is of course just fancy stuff, and not a solution, you should first be able to find the page normally, before you should start creating an alias.

And why would that be in any way relevant?

Am I being too subtle?

OK, let me put you out of your misery. :roll_eyes:

IsReset

If you short the reset pin to ground it doesn't matter i guess, that was not in the first picture though.

hm... looks like i had to disable mobile data for it to work on android... i wonder if there is a way to not need to. also found out that the code wont compile depending on flash size selection. TY all for the effort!

if you dont do this you program the atmega instead

It is a common issue. You provide your browser with a URL and it will start the search engine by default. Maybe in your browser settings. Basically you have to tell it to search your WiFi connection first (if connected)

Beginners Guide to te ESP8266 shows how to search local and not go Out on the WWW.

It's not a matter of whether or not it starts the search engine, it is what priority it gives to the data source.

Mobile data (which I do not have on my phone as the automatic updates promptly empty my account) is instantly available to the phone whereas it has to connect to an access point to get data from WiFi. So not surprisingly it selects the mobile connection by default.

Unfortunately it is not the ESP that has anything to say in the matter. The Android is in control here.
Your point would be valid if the ESP acts as a client, but in this case the ESP acts as a server, and is not looking for something but needs to be discovered.

Ah yes, well personally i have no data on my phone, so never encounter the issue. But a friend of mine always has to turn his 5G off, or it starts searching.
I anyway set up a connecting to a LAN, and put the ESP in Station mode as well, provide an mDNS and use my laptop, to connect to it through the network.
If you want to use an Android phone though, thru the network, you will need the assigned IP-address (Android does not support mDNS lookup yet... still) But this is a different matter.
Anyway you may be able to set it up correctly in the settings on your phone, and/or it's browser.

so, you don't know how to have the android search local and not the WWW.

wish there was a beginners guide on how to do that........