ESP12e and Arduino Uno

It has been a few weeks since we've started doing our project. I made a post about it here. I would also want to ask for help on how I should store the codes and how to program it.

Basically we this is what we have: 1. Arduino Uno R3 2. ES8266 12 (only the chip itself, by AI Thinker) 3. OV7670 nonFIFO 4. SD Card module 5. MCP23017 6. Driver Motor for mobot 7. LM1117

We have a mobot which we want to control - through an app we will be making - via the esp12e. All the while, we also want to see a live video feed from the OV7670 with the very same app we use to control the wheels. I though that the SD card would be useful in temporarily dumping frames before it would be sent to the web.

How do we start with the code? Where should I store the code for controlling the wheels? For the video?

Your response would be greatly appreciated since we would really need to finish this by the weekend.

Disclaimer: We're not pro programmers. And we're not programming majors.

Get each component of the project working individually before you start combining them together. Make sure you understand what every line of code does before moving on. Save the sketches you wrote for each component to use as tests later if you run into problems. Often you will find the examples included with the necessary libraries are sufficient but it's still essential that you understand what every line of code does.

I would start with the OV7670 because likely you're going to find using an Uno with video to be very limiting and may need to adjust your project accordingly.

The SD card is probably going to be too slow for frame buffering, you'll have to do it in RAM or in the ESP's flash. Or just send each frame directly over UDP as soon as you get it from the camera.

I'd connect the camera to the ESP directly, not to the UNO.

Pieter

pert: Get each component of the project working individually before you start combining them together. Make sure you understand what every line of code does before moving on. Save the sketches you wrote for each component to use as tests later if you run into problems. Often you will find the examples included with the necessary libraries are sufficient but it's still essential that you understand what every line of code does.

I would start with the OV7670 because likely you're going to find using an Uno with video to be very limiting and may need to adjust your project accordingly.

We have already tested the components they work just fine. We tried to read the code that we found off the internet and it is kind of difficult to comprehend. So I guess we still need to do more research - which would be not the best choice because this needs to be finished by Wednesday evening - or we could use some help from people who are knowledgeable about it and explain it to us haha. Thank you :D

PieterP: The SD card is probably going to be too slow for frame buffering, you'll have to do it in RAM or in the ESP's flash. Or just send each frame directly over UDP as soon as you get it from the camera.

I'd connect the camera to the ESP directly, not to the UNO.

Pieter

Hi thank you once again for responding to my query. Yes it's too slow to handle little movement. We tested the OV7670 with this instructable (http://www.instructables.com/id/OV7670-Arduino-Camera-Sensor-Module-Framecapture-T/?ALLSTEPS). It made use of the arduino and a Java application that was run through cmd and it saved images to a certain folder.

From your advice, we also start to think that we want to connect the OV7670 directly to the ESP. But the problem is we don't know how to use the same program above to run on the ESP and how we can access the image. Do you have any sources for this?

We also bought an MCP23017 IO extender because we want to communicate to our mobot through the esp. Do you also have sources on how we can do this?

Your response really means a lot. Thank you so much for taking time in replying.

val_: we also start to think that we want to connect the OV7670 directly to the ESP. But the problem is we don't know how to use the same program above to run on the ESP and how we can access the image. Do you have any sources for this?

From_ComputerNerd.ino has a lot of AVR specific code so it's going to require some work to port it to the ESP8266. I'm sure it's possible to do but it will take some work and you will need a fairly good understanding of the code. Maybe you could get lucky and find some other code already written for ESP8266. It does seem like you will be much less limited in what you can do with the OV7670 connecting it directly to the ESP8266, which is faster and has more memory than the Uno.