ESP32 Arduino library compatibility

Hey,

I'm considering using an ESP32 in my project. I want to check that the libraries I will be using in my project are supported by the ESP32. I am unable to test the libraries with a ESP32 any time soon as I don't have access to any hardware at the moment; but I want to plan ahead.

The libraries I want to enquire about are the tmrh20 nrf24 library here, the rinkydinkelectronics rtc library here, the standard SD card library here, and a custom Nextion display library here.

Something you can do to check even without any hardware is install the ESP32 boards platform, following these instructions:

Then select an ESP32 board from the ARduino IDE's Tools > Board menu try compiling your sketches (or example sketches of the target libraries if you don't have sketches) for that board.

A successful compilation is no guarantee that the code actually works as intended when run on an ESP32. However, if the compilation fails then you know there's definitely a problem!

ningaman151:
the standard SD card library here

Here at least there's some assurance. The ESP32 boards platform comes with a bundled version of the SD library, customized specifically for ESP32. So you can have some confidence that it will work. I think the API of their library is the same and the Arduino IDE will automatically use the bundled SD library when you are compiling for an ESP32 board, so you likely won't even notice that you're not using the standard SD library.

pert:
Something you can do to check even without any hardware is install the ESP32 boards platform, following these instructions:
arduino-esp32/boards_manager.md at master · espressif/arduino-esp32 · GitHub
Then select an ESP32 board from the ARduino IDE's Tools > Board menu try compiling your sketches (or example sketches of the target libraries if you don't have sketches) for that board.

A successful compilation is no guarantee that the code actually works as intended when run on an ESP32. However, if the compilation fails then you know there's definitely a problem!

Ah I should have clarified; I don't really have access to software either. But that sounds very useful, I'll keep it in mind!

Why don’t you have access to the software?

pert:
Why don't you have access to the software?

I'm in hospital; pretty much all I got is my phone. The reason I'm posting early is that I might resume my studies in February; and this post is relevant to my dissertation.

I'm sorry to hear that. Sending you my best wishes.

pert:
I'm sorry to hear that. Sending you my best wishes.

Thank you :slight_smile: