ESP32 burned out when connected to power

Hello everybody. I’m sorry if I have do mistakes.
I’m developing a personal project (we can tell that it is a drone).
My esp32 was connected to an esc (Mamba F50) which has output 5V and 2.5A, powered by 6S battery 65C. The cables are: Vin esc to 5V esp32 and GND esc to GND esp32.
So I have,'t shortcut, but when I turned on the power the esp burned out.
The max voltage input of the esp32 is 12V, so I don’t know what is my mistake.
The current input of the esc was limited to 1A, maybe is this the mistake?
Can you tell me what is the problem?

I think we need a schematic of your wiring .
The battery you describe is 22volts …mistake wiring ?

Yes, it is. But the back of the esc is 5V 2.5A.
Wait for the graphic

Ok I didn’t say that I also connected the cables of the motors and a servomotor to the esp and a smoke stopper between the battery and the esc.
Thinking about it, it may be that it burned out because it required power that did not arrive, I don’t think. One motor also produced smoke, but it should work after setting the smoke stopper to 2A.
So this is the graph:

The circles are the motors.

This certainly sounds like the esp32 was connected to 22v which would be on Vin of the escape when using that battery.

Your diagram does not clarify the connections. Can you take a photograph of the escape and the connection points to the esp which shows the labeling on the escape.

Ok I’m very stupid. When i look for the specs of the mamba f50 it comes out the preview of a site, but it really talks about another Mamba, mine doesn’t have a bec. So… Thanks Google :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. Can you recommend a low-priced bec (Amazon only)? I found one for 10 euros. Ah thanks for the help.

I’d strongly suggest never using a BEC built in to an ESC - ESCs often fail spectactularly
(releasing the magic flame, not just smoke!), so you would be setting yourself up for expensive
damage to the microcontroller and other electronics every time an ESC fails (I’ve seen
this happen multiple times).

A separate voltage regulator won’t explode like this!

Yes, but I would use less space and weight possible

Then why ask for advice? :roll_eyes:

Because if I didn’t ask for it I wouldn’t have understood

When I was flying RC fixed wing aircraft, none of the experienced flyers used the
BECs built into the ESCs for this reason. We often saw aircraft burst into flames
because the pilot was ‘pushing the speed envelope’
We use dedicated standalone BECs.

Your schematic makes no sense.
An ESC has two batt in heavy wires (blk&red) and 3 3-phase brushless motor output wires and , if it has a BEC, two small guage blk&red wires. Your schematic shows
multiple wires going to an ESP32. The non red or blk wires you show going to the
ESP32 could only be the motor power 3-phase wires which would certainly fry
an ESP32. Also, you show the ESP32 powering a servo, which it certainly is not designed to do.

You forgot the “servo” control wires. :grin:

Usually a third wire with the black and red to a 3 pin servo connector.

I have 30 RC fixed wing planes with ESCs 20A to 40A I never had a flame-bursting failure of the ESC.
I do all kinds of aerobatics with my planes including vertical take offs from my hand with full throttle
I had only once a failure on a 12A ESC. The ESC just stopped to work. That was all. Most of the ESCs were build in from the manufacturer Horizon Hobby or good quality ESC in the $40-range.

But I can imagine if you use a cheap $5 china ESC rated 3-4S 30A with a 4S lipo without having measured the max current that this can burst into flames.

As a general hint: I plug my microcontrollers into doublerow sockets to be able to do easy measurings on every pin.
Before plugging in the microcontroller the first time I connect power-supply and then I measure the voltages on all pins just to be sure to not "overvoltage" any pin.

best regards Stefan

Yes, well your probably sane and not trying to break any speed records. I forgot to mention is was the usual suspects with high speed aircraft.
I forgot the name for them but you would know
since your still flying. Yes , I had hundreds of aircraft in the 10 years I flew and sometimes 10
on the same day and I never had an esc catch
fire but burned on out by using the wrong size prop. Those were the days. Still miss Flight Day.

Does ‘streamliner’ ring any bells ?

So this is my modified scheme. Obviously, the red and black wires indicate + and -. The purple wire is for controlling the servo and the other colored wires are for controlling the motors.

what do you mean they would fry? The engine or the esp32? Why?

You’re right, but I’m not making a real drone. I am building a prototype of a project. The only thing it has to do is get up a few meters is to move the servo motors (at least the first model).

For controlling a free flight it doesn't matter if it has just to move up 10 cm or doing a cruise for hundrets of meters. The controll-system has to sucessfully stabilise the flying thing. Stabilising is the hard part. Go fly to some GPS coordinates is a peace of cake compared to the requirements of stabilising a drone. Of course it is doable but I would not recommend this as the second or third project in programming.

If it is a vertical take off drone non fixed wing drone and
If the main thing of this project is something different than stabilising a drone's flight I would buy a ready to use drone-flight-controller.

stabilising a drone in flight requires a sensor for sensing direction XYZ of gravity (g-sensor) and for sensing rotational speed (gyroscop)

If the main subject is stabilising something instable
a two-wheel balancing robot driving on a flat surface is challenging enough.
And if the porgram is faulty all that could happen is robot falling down driving his wheels.

best regards Stefan

The problem is that I don’t know how to control two servos from the flight controller and just want to use the PS4 controller for commands (so use Bluetooth).

I have no clear picture what your project overall does - yet.
It is always a good idea to give an overview about the whole project.
So please describe in detail how does your "device" look like
does it fly?
what is the used technology mainly fixed wing or minimum three rotating propellers?
what is the purpose of the additional servos?

best regards Stefan

Hi,
This tells us very little;

Please get a pen(cil) and paper out and draw your circuit, LABEL ALL connections, that is where every wire goes in and out of a component.

What is a SMOKE STOPPER, post a link please…

Tom… :grinning: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :australia: